Rollers for resin.

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Meanz Beanz, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

What type is best? I have never rolled resin as a coating before and I was wondering what roller type is best to get good coverage, foam or the flock types? I'm rolling BoteCote in this instance which is as thick as all.... I have to heat it to get the viscosity down to something reasonable to spread. So far I have used a rubber squeegee blade, its OK but I'm hoping that a roller is better.

2. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

I've only used paint-type rollers for sopping up extra resin. I use the dribble-and-brush technique for spreading the resin about, and nylon rollers to get the air out of the laminate.

For resin-sopping, flock is my choice. The foam ones come unglued from the core.

3. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

Thanks Tinny! I will go with a flock one for my first experiment... :D

4. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Use the hot dog rollers, short nap, that are sold for Epoxy paint (they shouldn't be used for that) I have used them to spread epoxy and epoxy based fillers (usually at the same time). Works great. I think we are all saying the samething.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.