RIB tube repair question

Discussion in 'Materials' started by CDK, Sep 13, 2014.

1. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The previous owner of my inflatable let his children jump on the tubes causing minor damage at or near a seam. I tried to repair this with epoxy but that does not adhere well to the pvc surface even after cleaning it with acetone. Also Sikaflex 211i can be pulled off without effort after a day.

All glues for inflatables are of the contact type: the instructions tell you to let it dry for 10-15 minutes, then put the patch on and apply pressure for a certain time. This is something you cannot do with a RIB tube, the hull and inner shell make it impossible to let all the air out.

Is there a 2 component glue for PVC that does no rely on solvents to evaporate?

2. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Unfortunately this is a job that needs doing a little too frequently...;)

Pretty straightforward, there are lots of chandlers and marine stores that sell the correct stuff. Below is one such link. Basically a 2 part PVC adhesive. Good luck, I'm sure you will get it to work. Now why did they pull that anchor fluke into the tube?...:D

http://www.polymarine.com/advice/pv...r-inflatable-boat-tubes-made-from-pvc-fabric/

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Polymarine also has only contact glue, to be used with or without a hardener. Good for attaching handles etc. to the tube, but for an airtight repair pressure is required.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.