RIB tube/collar life?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Nojjan, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

I am wondering if anyone knows how long a modern RIB tube can be used (say Hypalon)? Specifically one that is used as planing surface (not just as buoyancy when at rest).

Thanks / J

2. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

I have a big inflatable (rather than a RIB) made by Humber of hypalon. It's now 23 years old and still airtight despite a 'commercial' hard life.

My Avon Redcrest tender is even older and although it hasn't had such a continuously hard life, it has included a couple of periods of several years of constant cruising.

3. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

That is really impressive Crag. Do you know if that is exceptional or the norm? I have seen some maintenance instructions saying that you are not suppose to clean a rib tube with high pressure water, this is what made me think that the tubes are not as strong as I thought. Any comments?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.