Preservative for Wooden Canoe

Discussion in 'Materials' started by saltyed, Jun 15, 2008.

1. saltyed

saltyed New Member

I am restoring a 1932 Penn-Yan wooden canoe. Basic cedar ribs and sheathing to be covered with canvas. I've stripped the finish and bleached the wood. A recommendation is to now treat the wood with hot boiled linseed oil (75%) and Cuprinol (25%). But clear cuprinol formula 20 seems to be unavailable (it's in the Jamestown catalog but not on the website). Is there a recommended alternative wood treatment product? After the treatment dries I plan to finish the wood with a modern varnish from West Marine. Boat will be used in saltwater. Thanks.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

You had better look at the instructions on the modern varnish. Most of the 'old remedies' will spoil modern finishes.
    Generally, thinned 'modern varnish' will do the job, and the ratio and correct thinner will be on the side of the varnish can of your choice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.