Possibility of using new bamboo laminate.

Discussion in 'Materials' started by hansp77, Mar 31, 2006.

1. hansp77

hansp77

My uncle who is a devoted sailor and also a interior designer recently showed me a new material that has become available,
    it is a laminate of bamboo, laminated in a variety of different ways, that is available in a tonge and groove, for flooring.
    Given it relative affordability, its phenomenal strength, superb water resistence, being not too heavy, and capable of looking great, we were pondering its possible application to boat building.
    Of course the tonge and groove would make it applicable to only certain things, but the material may be available in other forms.

any ideas?

2. nero

nero Senior Member

Often thought it would be excellent for strip planking. Would want some lab to test how many cycles the laminate would take until failure.

Also, since it can be a bit waxy, how well will epoxy stick to it?

3. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

You got my attention.
    Bamboo is used for scaffolding in combination with tiewraps to build skyscrapers in China. It won't be as strong as glass, but bent allowance is greater too. From the recycling pont of view it is not so interresting in a laminate I guess. But maybe it can be a cheap alternative for glass when used at the scource?
    Anybody?

4. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Bamboo have been know for it huge stress streshold, it will take alot of bend to break bamboo. Now if the laminated bamboo piece are small zig saw puzzle sized then it maybe for the deck flooring, as for the hull I think u can order from Cina with curve u want up to 2-3 M. dont trust me just goole and check......... got an article in my old files on bamboo...... got some great bamboo stuff in my kitchen.

5. hansp77

hansp77

Bamboo laminate surfoboards.

For an interesting link I just found on this subject-
    incendently from my own home-town-
    check out this article on how Bamboo lamination has been able to replace fiberglass, with numerous advantages, in the making of surfboards.

http://www.bamboosurfboards.com.au/press/courier_mail.html

Using epoxy resin, with twice the strength of fiberglass, with more flexibility and non-toxic application, and renuability, this seems to have some real positive applicability to boatmaking.

Anyone looking for a project to test the thesis?
    If only I had the money, the time, and the know how....

6. hansp77

hansp77

Also, Wellydeckhand,
    the bamboo laminate that I have looked at, (and much more seems to be available on the web) is available in normal flooring length peices, in tonge and groove,
    You get the choice between a vetical lamination, ie. ||||||||
    and a horizontal lamination, ie. ====== (except three layers deep, not two, and crossing each other like brick work)

The future of boat manufacturing might be getting a little greener...

7. nero

nero Senior Member

End grain sheets, like balsa core sheets? Now that would solve the problem of the short plank lengths caused by the natural growth structure. It would have a high compression modulus.

Grow your own boat. Maybe this is what I will try for my bridge structure. I am running out of cypress.

8. Wellydeckhand

That type usually for making chop block for kitchen uses........ the IIIIIIII unsure no bending and dont destroy your blade. Do not attempt to hit bamboo with blade too often iot might destroy your precious blade.

The South of China have a whole province of bamboo forest just if I could remember where............. maybe Yunan.

I would definately look into building a boat out of that material/........... cheap just go the factory order the material right for the boat. I seen many raft made by those material. Everything from fiber depend on the epoxy so dont worry if it is done by professional.

WDH

9. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

the bamboo is fine ...the glue is what you need to look out for

10. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Bamboo as boat building material.

This is the material that I'am using to build the unstayed mast:!: .Thankfully I does'nt need to buy them bamboos.If any of you would like to try..get green bamboo and strip it to 1mm or 2 mm thickness ,you can weave bamboo easily when it is still wet, when it is bone dry..it will be tougher to weave.Weave the pattern that you want, shape it and let it air dry.Tough leather glove is a must if you want to work with bamboo strip.Those strips are sharp enough to shave hairs:eek: .Strip bamboo are use to make heavy duty basket for carrying greens from the orchard to the markets.This disposable basket can actually last a few months:!: .With epoxy covering for sure it will last years.There is some other type of woven tropical fibre from the jungle that we are working with to see their ability to bind with epoxy and explore their potential in boat industry.:)

11. Wellydeckhand

Weaving bamboo need no to be wet. you can strip it into managable lace before weaving it into basket for fishes cache or anything that need in hash weather condition.

About sharp...... well just watch out and becareful. real cut can be done.

WDH

12. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

How about laminating with woven bamboo?

Yoke.

13. Wellydeckhand

Dont think it will work........ there are other ways to cure it and make water proof........ Check China Bamboo Industry ...... or combination of other related words

14. hansp77

hansp77

10 meter woven bamboo yacht with lift keel. (1960)

Here is a photo (with link) I found of an old vietnamese 10 meter sailing boat from 1960 with a lifting keel, made out of woven bamboo. Very nice.
    If they could do it then, how bout the adition of a coat of epoxy, just like the surfboard maker does (whose link I provided).

www.vietnamboats.org/bambooboats.htm

What ya think?
    Hans.

Attached Files:

15. nero

nero Senior Member

No need to weave the bamboo strips. With epoxy, bonding force will be enough to keep things together. By weaving it will make the structure less strong. It is the same annology between woven and double or triple bias glass.

I am trying to find pricing and a supplier in the US. Mast, tramp beams, maybe the whole cross bridge structure?

Also found out that bamboo is dimensionally stable. It has half the shrinkage of wood. This is important.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.