Plug building for moulding

Discussion in 'Materials' started by gages, Aug 14, 2013.

1. gages

gages Junior Member

Hi all
    I have redesigned a boat ( plug) by shaping with bog ( bondo ) and now need to get coverage over this so I can spray tooling gel coat over this and my question is what do people use as a coverage over bondo so the gel coat doesn't attack the finished product, waxing is my preferred release agent

Thanks in advance

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

mm where to start !!
    Theres really just one product I would recommend and that's DURATECH . Its reliable ,works a treat ,and never really have any problems . sprays easy , is able to be used over almost anything . is catalysed like resin ,is sand able and polish's to a good shine and with a few coats of a good mould release wax and a spray of PVA release agent there's a 99 percent chance it will part without to many problems!! :)
    IS THAT WHAT YOU WANTED TO HEAR ??:confused:

How big is the boat ?? you want to spray only over the bondo ?? or Duratek the whole plug ??

3. gages

gages Junior Member

Thanks Tunnels
    Exactly what I wanted to hear ...the boat is relatively small ,I'll check the dura tech out and report back
    Thanks appreciated

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Yeah bondo or any type of fillers is always the place where plugs and mould stick up but Duratek will go over the top of almost anything including plaster of Paris as long as its dry !Duratek gives a good shine and buffs up really well and If left for a while goes really hard !
    WAXING IS REALLY important !! light coats well rubbed into the surface about 6 times or coats and use PVA release agent , This I really recommend as a sure way of getting the two parts to separate cleanly with out any stick up problems !! :D

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.