Painting with Awlgrip question

Discussion in 'Materials' started by ronc98, Oct 19, 2007.

1. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

I am restoring my 1977 C-26 and have decide to repaint the calked gelcoat with Awlgrip. I plan on rolling this. My plan was to use this for one color for the topside and then use another color + grit for the non-skid then finally a third color for the boot strip and water line. I have read that the Awlgrip has a tendency to creep under the tape which makes it hard to keep a crisp line between colors.

Has anyone done this type of thing and have recommendations?

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Speak to your nearest Awlgrip stockist and get his advice in writing. Plastic electrical tape is good for masking. Awlgrip probably have a cd. Interlux do! :D

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/

Good luck

Pericles

3. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

awlrip tape lines

Any paint will creep under the wrong tape.

Get hold of 3M fineline tape (I forget the number, besides I am european based and we have different numbers/products). We use the green one for the best lines. Don't use "electrical tape" - the price difference is worth it.

Don't forget you'll have to scuff up to the tape edge before painting. Use Scotchbrite not abrasive paper which will tear the tape edge.

Then take care removing tape. Let the paint cure off 48hours.

4. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

Thanks for the input. I experiment with the 3M tapes. I just did not want to get this all planned out and only find out that my tape lines would be terrible no matter what type of tape i used.

5. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

What do you mean by "scuffing" the tape? It may be a stupid question, but it isn't entirely clear to me. Do I understand it correctly if I read it as in "you put in on, then take a scotchbrite pad, and scuff the tape, by (well, "scuffing" it) from the center of the tape and out to where you want the clean line"? But if so, wouldn't a dry cotton glove or dry sponge do the same? Make the edge adhere properly?

I never worked with awlgrip, but I like to learn – just in case it might be needed at some later stage.

6. Faster

Faster Junior Member

What he said was "scuff up to the tape".. in other words rough up the previous surface before painting. The use of a scotchbrite pad is less likely to damage the tape edge.

Definitely agree with the recommendation to use Fineline tape. Don't forget to thoroughly press the tape edges down all along the line prior to painting.

7. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Oh, haha, I see. That makes so much more sense. Thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.