Paint over spar urethane on plywood.

Discussion in 'Materials' started by rmcelroy, Jun 10, 2006.

1. rmcelroy

rmcelroy New Member

Hi guys, I just dropped in from a Teardrop Camper forum. I know you guys deal with epoxies, glass and urethanes all the time. I was hoping to get some advice about a question that will probably be pretty (duh) to you.

I have a Teardrop that I'm ready to put a finish coat on, I have been planning on using aluminum-but have backed out, its a long story. Anyway my camper now has one coat of Minwax spar urethane on it. I want to paint it a silver/aluminum color and would like to ask what kind of paint you would recommend.

I like some things I hear about epoxy paints but suspect I need to stay with a urethane........any sources would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for any help you may give
    Regie

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can use any alkyd enamel. Epoxies and two part paint will lift the urethane and crinkle it; like paint remover does.

3. rmcelroy

rmcelroy New Member

Thanks Gonzo, I ended up going with the sheet aluminum. I sat and thought for a while and solved a couple of the problems that were keeping me away from it. Its for the best I'm not the best painter in the world and the Al sure looks good.

Thanks again
    Regie

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.