Non slip decking

Discussion in 'Materials' started by daedong, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thanks Jack but Im on a lttle island east of Malaysia. I have difficlty buying bread some days.

I have bought a liter tin of silica sand ( fine ) and I was,-- when I get my act together is iether sprikle or mix into the Jotun AS Eurothane 2 pack white which I will buy in Thailand on my next visit.

I have previously posted here that i thought of making a sprinker from a card board box with holes in it. For some strange reason my thinking is that this would cause the least cock up.

2. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

that will work too,

3. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

4. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

I just sprinkle it on or through it on, (don’t actually poor it on)

Its not really lumpy at all if yu get it on evenly, if you are using a primer get that on first, then paint your for example polyurethane paint, then sprinkle this on, after its dry brush of the extra.

Sandblasting sand gives a very good grip but is sharp on the knees if you faal, the more over coats you use the less sharp it gets.

My dad said he used crushed peanut shells in the 60’s in CA it was a lot softer.

If you want stripes, tape the non striped areas, paint the job and apply sand or beads, (attention micro-balloons haven’t worked for me at all, but test them too),

You need to make a small test batch, use any old warmish or PU paint you have left over, try different areas with different overcoats etc.

You get a pro look if you test it a few times first on some old peace of counter top or other sheet with a laminate on it.

Remember that all the normal pre painting fairing sanding etc must be done as all niks show right through.

The test panel you make is cheap or costs nothing but your time.

Richard.

5. yotphix

yotphix Junior Member

I tried putting it in the paint and rolling it on once with terribly ugly results. I found that it left streaky lines of sand. Your results will definitely be more consitant if you scatter on wet. I did it by hand with good results but had thought to try a pringles tube with a line of holes up one side next time.

6. yotphix

yotphix Junior Member

Incidentally thenicest results are sprayed on with the paint using a pressure pot rig being gently shaken by te painter's helper all the while. That's how the pro's do it at the yards in south florida I've been in.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.