No MAS! ;)

Discussion in 'Materials' started by CatBuilder, Apr 17, 2012.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I agree with you guys here. I just don't like people who are bad with details involved in my project.

I had to use Mas after I started with them for just the reason Mydauphin suggests here. I have done 90gallons of business with them (just in resin) this year. I tried to switch to a different infusion epoxy, but didn't want to start over with a new one for the last drum I need, so I got jacked and ponied up my $6k for a 45 gallon kit. Were I building another boat and had I needed another drum after these two drums, I would have switched suppliers.

For hand lamination and fillets ance such, I am very happy with system three brand. They are precise and technically accurate on things.

I even gave Kurt Hughes a hard time when I discovered his lack of precision! :)

He sent me an inaccurate materials list that I was double checking against the plans and found many deviations on. I asked him point blank: How can I trust you did the design right if you are getting the details on the materials list wrong? He wasn't happy, but that is a valid question to me.

I have a background as a physicist and computer scientist. I expect nothing less than total accuracy on my build, so that expectation extends to anyone involved in the project.

Lives, other than my own rely on the structural integrity of the build, so I take this stuff very seriously.

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

I would have switched anyhow. 6k for a drum of resin... That must be special stuff. (I admit I have a resin priced in that range, but indeed, special stuff.)

There is no reason why another resin could not be used. With the right prep, they all stick to each other.

3. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I probably should have switched, but it made more sense for my workflow to use the same product this one last time. No lost time adjusting to the use of a new product.

4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Engineers are usually the ones accused of being too precise! :)

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I am a engineer also, and follow methodologys for doing things, ihave however being working with epoxies for thirty years, I can eyeball a mix pretty good. If it is not structural I eyeball, haven't got it wrong in 15 years. For more delicate work, I take out scale and run batch test.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.