New Product To Save Soft Decks

Discussion in 'Materials' started by vitamansea, Aug 20, 2015.

1. vitamansea

vitamansea Junior Member

Well Injectadeck is selling to Marina's and private boat owners alike at the rate of over 30 units a week, with great results. I couldn't give a crap what these guys think on here. My customers are reordering and one guy sits at the clearwater boat ramp charging $100 a pop per soft spot.
    I'm the aerospace engineer who designed the foam and the delivery system is patterned after the epoxy resins we use on aircraft.

It will soon be sold by "Land & Sea" a brunswick company, and West Marine.

Noone can deny what this product does in the void of a boat deck, it turns to stone and its harder than the rest of the deck in my opinion. I injected my son's boat deck in 2014, and its still solid 2 years later.

Im not customer service oriented, Im USMC and the haters can go piss up a rope while I save hull after hull for my customers.

Vitamansea

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Now we see the point.

This was an advertisement without letting us know.

There is always something new which might actually work.
    Can you show some data like was requested?
    How about a cut up deck that has been repaired, like the one in your picture?

6/1 expansion doesn't blow the skins apart?
    Actually I had a fiberglass tornado catamaran this might have worked on (Balsa Core)
    More information would help.

I'll tell you right now that I've asked for more information in about 20 instances of claims similar to this and have never seen any additional data.
    How about being the first.

What difference does USMC make to whether this works or not?
    I was USN for all the difference that makes.

You were obviously looking for free advertising and something positive from this forum. Not customer service oriented? Then why even bring this up?

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yeah, this is the thing I found too, lots of "well I did this, and they did that" but data, certification, testing, etc . . . It's not a matter of the "haters", but the professionals that have to have some documentable assurances, before getting on board, let alone getting an insurance company to sign off, after someone has drowned after a failure.

Your first post here, lead most to believe (possibly innocently) you were simply a customer that used this new product "and it worked", kind of deal. Your next post was on this thread, with a little more detail, though as pointed out, sounding too good to be true. On your third post, also on this thread, you cast aside legitimate concerns about wet cores and my speculation about what it might be (turns out I was right too) as being made by a troll, of which you'll find in my history, I wouldn't typically be accused of, instead of supporting your product with some data, such as what density of foam, its general makeup, etc. Your 4th post on this forum finally does call it a polyurethane (you're not the only engineer here BTW, we have dozens, myself included) and very briefly and quite blandly offer some misspelled additions to what it is, still with no data, testing, etc.

Maybe you are what you are, but frankly, you should leave the marketing stuff, up the folks that can deliver it in a more appropriate way. The site you've listed (again) is weak on anything other than sales pitch and maybe this will work with JimBob and is half brother/uncle JoeLarry and their bass boat, though you'll find the industry professional, which this site is full of are going to want a whole lot more than the fluff and less than informed discussion, you've provided thus far. So, if asking legitimate questions and suggesting concerns about your product, which the past is littered with, is being a troll to you, well . . . I'll just crawl back under the bridge and wait for you to pass over again.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There is no way any injected material will displace the rotted wood between the laminates. Further, it will simply adhere itself to rot and not to the laminate.

5. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Gonzo,

Polyurethane sticks to everything it touches. So if there is only rotten wood that it can get to that might be true, but if it looks like the picture of the opened up deck in the web site, there is lots of surface to stick to. Assuming that is really representative which we can't know.
    For the Balsa cored Tornado catamaran I had and cut apart, there would have been a significant area of contact. The real problem was you couldn't have known exactly where to inject the foam.

I have a molded "model" turbine blade which was made from a polyurethane "structural foam" material which is hard as a rock. Not noticeablely able to be bent with reasonable pressure. This material was normally used for chairs and industrial equipment cases.
    It did take fiberglass molds 1" thick to keep the internal pressure from bowing out the mold (which was clamped). It was somewhat brittle, not like foams used in cored boat hulls

There is a possibililty this is a similar material which in some cases would act like the OP said.
    But they have the burden of proof. And just because it was solid and did stick things together doesn't say it will last very well . Nor that you got the foam in the right place.

I would expect to see localized bulges where the skins were forced apart by the internal pressure.

In the example above, it was required that a measured weight of resin and hardner/foaming agent be used because too much pryed the mold apart at the edges in spite of the mold thickness and clamping used. In that case we wanted an accurate shape.

6. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

This is one of the few forums where vendor posts are not just tolerated but encouraged because a high percentage of the people here are marine professionals. It may have been one of the better places to get feedback from peers about the product, a reasonable testing procedure, who to send it to for proof testing, etc. a real solution to core failure would be worth it's weight in gold.

Instead you get aggressive, argumentative, and throw around the fact that you were in the USMC like being an *** hole is somehow driven in the bones at boot camp. My DI would have broken you in half for that additude, and I find it offensive that you would use membership in the Corps as justification for being rude.

Now if you want to restart this like a professional, which presumptively you were taught to do back in boot camp, even if you have forgotten since, then go ahead and let's have a conversation.

Oh, I was also in the Marines, infantry to be exact. And if any of my Marines acted like you have so far they would still be running around the barracks.

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Lots of Marine vets around, My time was 1960 - 62 and with my extensive education
    and superior smarts I qualified to be a GRUNT.................

8. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

I, like most pros never take products like you are selling at face value, I contact the seller and ask for samples for testing, which I do myself and if I'm satisfied that it does what its claimed to do, then and only then do I become a customer and maybe a cheerleader. I have yet to encounter a legitimate company that has not been willing to send me samples, so, if you are willing to send me a sample for testing purposes please contact me by PM and I will test it and post the results, positive or negative on this forum. Sound fair? I have to say I too, having seen the insides of too many rotted out cored structures am skeptical but also open minded and would love to prove myself wrong.

9. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There is often a confusion between the strength of a material and its hardness. The claim that it is "hard as rock", probably also means that it is very brittle. That is a bad characteristic on a core. Plate glass is harder than steel, but it is a bad structural material.

11. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

True which is why we need some data. Where did he go?

12. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

I sell both urethane and epoxy expanding foams, and while I can see why someone with little to no experience would think that pumping something in that made that section of the deck feel stronger was a "fix", the people that actually do this type of work for living know that the small area filled is just the tip of the iceberg, and that there's no way to get deeper into the hull where more rot hides.

By the way, I Sell these products now, but I started in the composites industry at about age 12 repairing boats. That was 48 years ago.

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

According to the OP, he's the engineer that developed this product, so I'd assume he has a clue about its physical attributes. He encountered a few questions here, from other engineers, who by their nature (at least in my experience) are going to ask these seemingly obvious questions, but he wasn't able or willing (the latter I'd guess) to offer a satisfactory reply and now has jumped ship. I'd hazard another guess in that the folks that run the company, found out about his attempted marketing strategy and put a halt to it, before it got worse. I don't think we'll see him again, unless he gets permission or arms himself, with the appropriate technical details about this goo.

14. Rbphipper

Rbphipper New Member

Hi Vitaminsea,

I just bought a 1978 20' Seacraft C/C, from a boat yard in New Jersey that was named "Vitamin Sea" on transom. I saw your name on this thread and was wondering if this could have possibly been your boat at one time????? Please let me know as I would love to find some history on this boat. Thanks!

Bob

15. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I'm tipping the name "vitamin sea" has been used innumerable times. It is certainly more elegant than "pistonbroke", which I have seen a couple of times.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.