need a surfacer

Discussion in 'Materials' started by mp006ltk, Aug 4, 2006.

1. mp006ltk

mp006ltk New Member

I am actually not a boatbuilder but I think the answer lies in this industry for what I need. Please see the requirements below and tell me if such a product exists. I have been using high build automotive primers and they just arn't thick enough.

Dries in air not in mold
    Sprayable
    Leaves a very hard finish to sand like epoxy
    Builds faster then automotive 2k pimer/filler
    Cures fast as comperd to the epoxy I have tried that takes 24 hours
    Flashes quickly and dosn't run like epoxy
    Strong and durrable finish
    Excelent substrate to sand prime and paint
    Preferably less toxic then the isocynates in automtive paints

I build very high end speakers and I have been laying them on their sides and flow coating them with epoxy. It works well but takes forever since each side has to be done seperately. The epoxy leaves the right hardness and seals the mdf "wood" from moisture that will casue it to swell over time. A sprayable material will also allow a much more even coating. I am not apposed to buying another spraygun if needed. I allready use several for the automotive finihses I have been using.

2. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Have you looked at melamine lacquers?They are often used on volume produced furniture and can be had in a range of sheens from high gloss to matt.The Woodweb forum may be able to give better guidance.

3. mp006ltk

mp006ltk New Member

i don't need a topcoat

I don't need a topcoat, only a primer filler. A glossy surface would be a disadvantage, and laquers scratch easy. I am looking for a ployester resin based material. I thought about spray filler, but most are bondo based products, and are far too soft. They also crack easy. The epoxy I have been using is great but I can't spray it and it takes way too long to cure.

4. Toot

Toot Senior Member

So if I understand you right, you are using an epoxy to get an even layer, and then painting or coating them with something else to obtain color?

Why can't you just get an epoxy with a faster cure time? They come with any number of different pot lifes. Some cure in as little as 6 hours.

To get a rough surface, I would suggest draping a piece of peel ply over the surface once it is coated.

Have you considered using a faster curing epoxy with silica or microballoons or whatever to create a slurry? Some boat guys use epoxy mixed with flour to make a thick paste-like concoction. Personally, I have my reservations about using flour, but silica, microballons, or chopped glass are common as well- all are available through a composites supplier.

You couldn't spray the slurry, but you could make it into a peanut-butter-like consistency that you could trowel on and then scrape with a straight-edge. Another advantage of this would be that the mixture wouldn't sag, so you could do the surfaces vertically as well. While you probably couldn't get all 6 sides done with one pass, you could probably get it done in two passes. Then use a filler primer to smooth out the natural roughness of the slurry.

5. mp006ltk

mp006ltk New Member

getting there

Exactly I'm not lookin for a finish.

I have tried epoxys with faster cure tiems, but they usually still take about 24 hours before they will sand without gumming up sandpaper. I would like to go the polysester route. Basically a sprayable resin that can cure quickly. If I can spray it on and sand in 3 hours I'm good. Some of my work has intricate shapes, so sprayable is a huge advantage over roll or brush on. If the only texture I have to get rid of is oarnge peal then it cuts drasticaly down on my time.

6. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

There are sanding gel coats that cure rapidly, polyesters won't bond as well as epoxy, but maybe good enough. Just try some gel coat, any color or type you can get, add wax so it will cure on the surface and spray it on. See if it's whay you need, if it is, then you can search for a faster curing easier sanding product.

7. tja

tja Senior Member

Tja

The company that you want is Advance Coatings phone number is 508-874-5921 They make various types of polyester coatings. The one that you want is their sandable light gray primer. The part number is 4-2-98 Lt. Gray sandable poly paint. I buy it by the gal. at $86.06 including shipping to Ohio. The primer comes with 7cc of cobalt which is added to the gal before thinning and catalizing. Cure time is 2 to 4 hrs. depending on catalist level and temperature. Fills to 40mils or more easily. sands nice dry or wet. Much faster build and cure thet 2k primers. Makes excellent substrate. Sincerely, Tom.

8. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Duratec.:cool:

9. mp006ltk

mp006ltk New Member

Phone number disconnected.

I tried to look into the last post, but the phone number was disconnected. I'm assuming that this isn't the only supplier for this material. Is this a spray-on product, and then what do you use to spray it? 40mil is alot of build. I'm assuming that a 1.6-2mm primer gun isn't going to be enough????? Thanks!

10. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Duratec should work well, the # is

Hawkeye Industries
    800 977 0060

If you called them earlier today, they were having phone problems.

11. tja

tja Senior Member

Tja

Hello I have a 800 number for Advanced Coatings Co. 1-800-247-1117 A automotive type primer gun will work quite well. This primer is much nicer then Duratec. It cures faster and sands with less effort. It also doesn't have to post cure like Duratec after you sand it. Try it you'll like it. Sincerely, Tom.

12. van stoneman

van stoneman fiberglass shop manager

I like the duratec surface primer w\ clear additive mix about 2 to 1@2% mekp thats 2 parts primer to 1 part clear.in about 4 hours you should be able to sand depending on the climate& temp I think gelcoat is a good idea but will be brittle and flake if the part sweats or gets a little age on it unless you resin coat it first for some thing to stick to wood it needs to penatrate the wood pretty good .if your cure time increases to much the material no mater what kind will not stick very well so I wish you luck!and dont push for to fast a cure time sometimes a little slower can be a little faster and better!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.