need info on composite stringers

Discussion in 'Materials' started by t_baer2001, Jul 15, 2005.

1. t_baer2001

t_baer2001 New Member

hi im new here i have a 78 27 ft sport craft that im repairing. the deck rotted out on one side and upon tearing it up i learned that the stringers in the rear of that side were rotted out also. ive been told that i would be better off to replace the stringers with composite rather than the origional wood. so i guess my first question would be where would i look for materials if i have to do it my self or where would i go/ look to order a pre made one. any help and/or info would be greatly appreciated. as i didnt expect this much work when i took on the project.

travis

2. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Travis,

A few avenues to explore; there is a product called prisma-beam available, but if you need to have the top of the stringers in one plane to support the floor, then that might not work.

There are also ready-made fiberglass extrusions in various profiles available, but you must test for bondability. (some manufacturers use silicone lubricants in the extrusion process, potential kiss of death) You can also make core-foam "formers" and build a glass stringer over those, or, you can simply take a nice straight piece of wood, wax it up good, and use it as a mold to build your own hollow glass stringers.

Just a few ideas, there are many other ways to do too, just apply some imagination.

Yoke.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The original setup lasted 27 years, why change it?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.