Mold-in Non-Skid

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Brent Ashman, May 11, 2005.

1. Brent Ashman

Brent Ashman New Member

I am looking for a product to install in a mold and gelcoat over to produce a finished non-skid pattern on the finished part. Can anyone help?

2. Danielsan

Danielsan Amateur designer-builder?

You could have a look at FLEX-MOLD

Gibco Flex-Mold
    6657 E. Peden Rd.
    Ft. Worth, TX USA 76179

Phone: (817) 236-5021
    Fax: (817) 236-5020
    Email: gibco@swbell.net

Sales Contact: Bethny Porter

Distributor
    Manufacturer

Offers the Gibco Flex-mold, a patented system designed for boatbuilders and boat repair yards. Boatbuilders can apply Flex-Mold to plugs to achieve a consistent look, and repair yards can now repair/repattern the non-skid decks of existing boats.

However I found some PVC placemets at the "IKEA"store (don't now if it exists in the US), could be used somebit cheaper

Greets,

3. Brent Ashman

Brent Ashman New Member

Re: non-skid

I looked at flex-mold but I saw something a while ago that was a rigid panel (1/4" - 3/4") with a shark skin or rev-diamond. It could be placed in the plug.

4. pjwalsh

pjwalsh Junior Member

You can mix some colloidal silica in gel coat then apply it to your plug with either a smooth foam roller or spray it on with a cup gun sporting a large diameter nozzle. The cup gun approach gives more consistent results. It takes some experience and skill to get right, but I believe this is the method used by many manufacturers of tooling.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.