Mixed Materials and reactions

Discussion in 'Materials' started by RSLOOP, Feb 19, 2006.

1. RSLOOP

RSLOOP Junior Member

I am planing to replace some oak frames around the mast, and have composite frames in progress. The chain plates on the R-sloop are galvenized steel, mounted inboard and backed with oak backing frames. I envision to move the chain plates a little inboard and on the front surface of the newly molded frames and floors constructed in one piece.
    Materials: fiberglass and carbon fiber layup
    will I create a corrosive environment with this approach?

2. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't carbon and zinc what they use in small batteries?

Yoke.

3. RSLOOP

RSLOOP Junior Member

I am sorry, but I was not clear,
    The new chain plates will be stainless steel and the fasteners also. Is there any reaction in this scenario ?

4. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

I'd stick with glass. Carbon is very stiff and might cause problems when used together with softer materials. While it certainly is doable, the engineering becomes very critical. Stainless does rust a lot faster in contact with carbon.

Yoke.

5. RSLOOP

RSLOOP Junior Member

Thanks for your advice, I still have time as the project will be completed next winter, this winter will see the completion of the molds.
    RSLOOP

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you replacing wooden frames in a wooden boat with a rigid carbon fiber structure?

7. RSLOOP

RSLOOP Junior Member

Gonzo
    That was at the start of the project, right wow I am taking off patterns of five frames and floors. The next step will be molds the lay up frames that will continue into the floors. shaped in a "C" section to carry the metal mast step. The floor portion is anchored to the lead and the parralel frame section is bolted to the planks. new chain plates will mount on the forward face of the frame and carry on under the mast step. the frame portion will be wider than before to prevent cave-in, and there is the question which material to use. Fiberglass hand lay-up, and I felt Carbon reinforced in the middle. Please give some feed-back, or should this be not clear enough, let me know.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Installing a rigid structure on an older wooden boat is a recipe for disaster. It will create hard spots. These are areas of concentrated stress. Normally, with flexible structures, the stress get distributed over a large area. I recomend you replace parts with the original design and materials.

9. RSLOOP

RSLOOP Junior Member

I appreciate your concern and will take it into account, when I get closer to pull the parts I will get back to this forum.
    Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.