mast tabanacle

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Steve W, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

I am trying to find an off the shelf mast tabanacle to use on a ranger 26 sailboat.All i have been able to come up with so far is the one made by Kenyon which is like two channel sections nested with horizontal hinge pins allowing the mast to be raised from either direction.Unfortunatlly this type is 1 inch thick and may not be able to used due to shroud length.So,what im looking for is the type which has a piece up each side of the mast with a slotted hole for a 1/2" pin thru the mast,this type only has about 1/8" under the mast which can be tolerated by the existing shrouds.I have one of these on a 25' boat i built 20 yrs ago but dont remember where i bought it.Any help locating a scource would be much appreciated.
    Steve.

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

The Kenyon tabernacle sounds like a good design. Your turnbuckles should allow for a 1" change in height without any problem. If not, replacement 316 SS turnbuckles suitable for a 25' boat run from $75 to less than $25/ea. Shroud adjuster plates cost even less. Either will allow adjustment over a range of at least 2 1/2" - 3 1/2".

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Yes, I'd play with the rigging rather than let the search for a shorter tabernacle become a problem. Also, you can cut the mast if the design allows.
    If you cut the mast the inner casting would need to be reinserted 1" higher, so make sure the old screw/rivet holes won't interfere.

Alan

1 person likes this.

4. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Thanks guys,i think i will just go with the kenyon base and cut the appropriate amount off the mast as suggested.
    Steve.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.