Lumber Supplier

Discussion in 'Materials' started by medphys3, Jul 11, 2005.

1. medphys3

medphys3 New Member

Hello everyone,
    I have decided to build a small boat with my son this summer and am wondering about wood suppliers. I'm sure this question has come up in the past, but nothing came up in the search.

Is there a prefered online distributor for marine plywood and lumber? I don't need the highest quality materials, but i'm sure you can't pick it out of the bins at Home Depot either (or maybe you can?). Anyway, any help would be great.

Also, if anyone would like to know the details of my project, just ask and i'll fill you in, maybe someone has pointers on that as well.

Thanks,
    Todd

2. Robert Gainer

Robert Gainer Designer/Builder

Depending on what you are building you can go to Home Depot and get the wood. Stair tread for instance is Long Leaf Yellow Pine and you can get it in 12-foot pieces. Rip it and it makes excellent chines or keels. If the boat is simple enough and small enough that is one way to go. We just finished building an 18-foot shad boat and used some lumberyard wood in the project. You can see more about us at www.fisheriestrust.org.

What are you going to build?
    All the best,
    Robert Gainer

3. medphys3

medphys3 New Member

We're going to do a "Pee Wee" 8 foot motor boat from Glen-L designs. It's something i've wanted to do for a long time, especially with my son. They grow up so fast, I want to make sure he starts using his brain and hands before it's too late. My goal is to get him interested enough to build another larger one for the family after we get our feet wet.

Thanks for the reply, it looks like there's a lot of info on this forum so i'll stick around and hopefully learn some things.
    Todd

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.