Looking for Marine plywood in Thailand

Discussion in 'Materials' started by patjah, Jan 13, 2015.

1. patjah

patjah PAt

I am trying to find a good supplier of marine ply in Thailand does anyone have a supplier they would like to share? The plywood I used on a previous projects was keruing plywood. It was quite heavy but the boat was a full keel displacement hull so not a big deal. This boat will require something lighter. Are the panels coming from Malaysia mainly keruing plywood? Cheers Pat

2. Alik

Alik Senior Member

There is no marine plywood unless one imports it. Local construction plywood is heavy (about 800kg/m3) and it will rot in humid climate. Better to use polypropylene honeycomb panels with subsequent glassing.

3. patjah

patjah PAt

Marine ply Distributor Thailand

Thanks for the tip. Is there a company which is a distributor for marine plywood in Thailand.

4. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I was looking for some 'exterior grade' plywood to make some replacement 'fascia' pieces for our Thai style roofs here in Khon Kaen (attached a few photos of when it was first built, and the deterioration it has suffered).

I was quite surprised when I visited a local hardware store that appeared to have a number of different selections of plywood, BUT was told that none of it was exterior grade/usage?

BTW, I have a wooden hull project to ask you about. I'll send it private message.

Attached Files:

5. brian eiland

Wood Hull & Deck on Canal Trawler

Dear Alik,
    For several years I have been real interested in a vessel design that is no longer in production. I was interested in one for myself as a nice compact little live-aboard vessel I might retire to.

[​IMG]

I set about 'redesigning' the vessel to make some minor changes, and to investigate alternative construction processes that might be accomplished without the traditional fiberglass mold building investments etc.

I started a whole subject thread on my thought processes, and documented it here:
    http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/redesigning-pilgrim-40-trawler-canal-boat-11212.html

Basically I was beginning to focus in on a 'frameless steel hull' with a nidacore type superstructure.

Recently an old customer of mine started making suggestion that I consider the possibility of wood for the hull's construction, similar to a boat he had built in the recent past. His was build with a lamination of quality plywoods in an epoxy saturation mode. Some of that discussion is on this page.
    http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=516209&postcount=412

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/redesigning-pilgrim-40-trawler-canal-boat-11212-22.html

This is his hull:
    [​IMG]

So my question to you is do you know of anyone in Thailand who could build a good quality hull & deck such as this in epoxy/wood?

6. brian eiland

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.