Lay up schedule for deck

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Fred707, Dec 10, 2011.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Hello !! any one out there ??
    I was exspecting a flood of comments !!, but not even a answer with cheeky remark !!

With little thought and a lot of get up and go you can make almost anything from glass !, decks are no exception ! Dont think what you cant do ,think what you can do !! :D:idea::?::confused:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Don't we all have similar deck molds laying around just for these eventualities?

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

In this time of recession and falling orders surely theres some one some where that would relish the sale of a deck only for sale just to keep a laminating crew in work !!.:confused: :D:p

4. Fred707

Fred707 Junior Member

Well I came here looking for some help on installing a new deck on my boat. I've been told to re read posts, about global considerations, about fastening to the deck. Come on guys all I'm looking for is a simple lay up schedule. (No disrespect) This is no space shuttle or 150' mega yacht. Its only a 25' fishing boat. What is the lay up of similar boats decks with divinycell/foam decks.............1 layer of 1708, 2 layers of 1708..etc
    Thank you
    Merry Christmas

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Every day no frills glass lay up for a work boat as a starting point !!

Ok If this was being laid up in a fibreglass mould !!
    Gelcoat
    Using polyester resin !
    1 X 450 csm as first layer this is usually resin rich and spend time to get it rolled nicely with no bubbles any where
    Its a fishing boat i would go for 2nd layer 450 CSM + 800 gram woven roving In areas like the main deck area and anywhere you will walk use H80 foam ,This can be set in WET 450csm glass or the proper core bond then vac bagged in place and dont have the vacuum to high just enough to bed the core and bleed the air out and bring the resin up to the surface of the perfitaions all over the foam . !!
    The vertical sides of the deck use 4 mm core matt ,keep it away from corners a little (about 20mm )as its the flat areas you are trying to make more ridged , again with a 450csm over the top at the same time as the core matt is laid !!. always make sure corematt is properly wet out , You can never over wet core matt if you have glass over the top at the same time .
    the last layer for the deck 1x450 csm +800 woven roving + 450 csm to finish all over .
    This absolutly basic !!
    The woven can be supplimented for a stitched fabric of the equivlent weight BUT i would stay with woven Because its a work boat . Joins and overlaps done in strategic places to get the full advantage of the glass double ups for extra strength .

Better resin such as Vinylester is tougher than poly and more exspensive .
    Its the glass on the underside of the deck that needs to be laid flat as possible to get a little more rigidity . As a final finish peel ply is worth considering and done at the same time on the last layer .
    WHEN IT HARD tear it off and you will have a reasonalbly smooth surface and very little glass pattern to paint over !.
    Where ever you could be mounting things and bolting through have solid glass and no core anywhere to close !.
    Add extra layers of the woven glass and take the extra layers out and distribute the load over a larger area .
    Try to keep away from using plywood or any sort of wood as it will get wet and yes it will get soggy and what ever is mounted will come lose and is impossible to keep from wobbling about !! . Wood and glass dont go together sorry . its basic and you can add and do what you like to beef it up but everything you add adds weight so your choice .
    On our 48 foot boat we use the same layup but substitute woven rovings for 1225 gram quad glass instead .
    I have simplified all our range to be the same on our 28 , 32 ,35, 38 , 42 foot decks the same lay up !,all that changes is the actual size of the deck area.
    Why use the same lay up on a small boat as the bigger boats ?? well small boats get more punishment than big boats !! 6 people standing on a big deck the load is usually over a bigger area , The same 6 people standing on a small boat deck the loading is taken on a smaller area and is much higher !!
    I would even reconsider the use of 18mm foam core and use a 18mm Balsa instead .
    Specially if you drop heavy things on the deck from time to time !!
    Like i said its a starting point !!:D:p:p

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

well!!

Is that what you wanted to know ?? if you have any other questions just ask . !!:p

7. Fred707

Fred707 Junior Member

Tunnels
    Thanks so much, that's exactly what I was looking for.
    Happy New Years

8. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

WELCOME TO 2012 :p:D:p
    CAN ADD MORE TO THAT JUST LETS KNOW WHEN YOU ARE ABOUT TO GET YOUR GLOVES ON !!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.