International-Awcraft-Hempel-Altex

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Roly, Jan 29, 2012.

1. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

Thanks for posting the datsheet.

Note is designed for airless application. Note the thinning recommendations for conventional...I presume you are conventionally spraying?

Do as Michael said. 1 tack coat and then 2 'wet-coats'.

Don't know the product but it will be ok. It may not be a full gloss or as good flow as a yacht-topcoat but it will be good. Sorry, but I imagine your paint skills will over-ride the difference. It will probably be easier to spry than Awlgrip.

Take care over humidity/temperature issues. If it gets cold/damp at night it may go hazy/sleepy (less gloss). Don't heat shed with one of thess diesel burners - it just adds more humidity and dirty air (half burnt fuel).

The 320 grade is 3M 255 gold grade paper or equivalant. Black wet/dry paper is different numbering system. If you use this you will have to use 600 grit.

Best of luck! (you always need this. I wasn't being sarcastic)

2. Roly

Roly Senior Member

I use Norton wet n dry (Black) as the only other paper is stearate (sp?) low fill which is a no-no.
    I will confirm with Norton as to the international grit comparison.
    Threre seems to be a little luck factor no matter how much attention to detail you make.
    I spray HVLP so won't be using the <0.021" tip, probably 1.5mm. Pot at 3.5-5psi & 10psi
    at the tip, 23psi inlet. Although, I am not married to these numbers, if it is not working for me.
    Thanks guys, gives me a bit more confidence now that I have a understanding of it.