Interlux Paint

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Cliff Ruckstuhl, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Cliff Ruckstuhl

Cliff Ruckstuhl Junior Member

I am going to repaint white on the deck of my J 29 and was very interested in the Interlux paint. Has anybody used this with good results?

Cliff

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Which of their products?

3. Cliff Ruckstuhl

Cliff Ruckstuhl Junior Member

I am goiong to use ther Brightside paint for the white areas on the deck and use Sanitred for the non skid.

Cliff

4. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

Interlux

I gotta admit previous history here...

I used to work for International Paint, the non-USA name for Interlux. (I jumped ship and now work for Dutch superyacht paint company)

Brightsides is good. Easy to brush, good to above average durability and hardness.

That said, I'd pay extra and use Toplac. It's 1-pack silicone alkyd. The durability is up there with 2-packs such as Awlgrip. Also easy to brush.

Just roll on with foam or short hair roller and tip off.

ps I'd use an undercoat. That way you can give the grp a good deep sand and fill scratches with the undercoat. This gives better adhesion, better gloss.

5. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

I have used both the brightside -white - excelllent results and easy to use. brush applied.
    I have used the Toplac for hulls on a Shark catamaran- Worst pianting experience I have ever had. to get the paint to work well, you have to thin it much greater than recommended. It is awful to brush as well.
    I thought "maybe it's just me"- so I tried to paint the hulls again this past off season.

Same awful experience.
    This doesn't mean I am a great painter. But I would say there are other paints out there that are much more durable and forgiving to put on.
    I will go with dupont automotive paint next time.

Rob

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.