Interior Design Materials

Discussion in 'Materials' started by RGorshkov, Sep 5, 2012.

1. RGorshkov

RGorshkov Junior Member

Hi all,

I just start to explore an Yacht interior design principals.
    And I have a couple of question, answers on which I can’t find anywhere. Could you please give some examples and web link to materials manufactures.
    For example let’s take this yacht Zefira.

http://www.remi-tessier.com/files/upload/08-ZEFIRA_02.jpg
    http://www.charterworld.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Sailing-yacht-Zefira-11.jpg
    http://www.superyachtnews.com/articles/16114/Zefira.jpg
    http://www.charterworld.com/index.html?sub=yacht-charter&charter=sailing-yacht-zefira-6162

Questions:

1. What type of wood is using for the deck?
    2. Where I can get the information about wood types for the deck?
    3. Lights, doors , glass windows suppliers?
    4. All the boat fittings suppliers?
    5. Type of paint for inside and outside the boat?
    6. Furniture materials (fabric , lather, carpets )?
    7. Kitchen ?
    8. Is it possible to get somewhere interior drawings and specifications, just for reference?
    9. And what is the process of interior design? What are designer’s responsibilities?
    Thanks,

2. Alik

Alik Senior Member

3. RGorshkov

RGorshkov Junior Member

Hi,

Thanks for the links. Yes I know about Westlawn Institute.
    I am considering to take the main course about yacht design. I am an architect so I think it will be easy just a bit different.
    I am sketching and designing a lot for yacht interiors, just want to understand the rules and proportions of different boats.

Cheers

4. Cfarmcity

Cfarmcity New Member

Nice sharing..

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Aesthetic considerations can follow about any path you like. Material choices are often forced on use by clients, though some are just accepted, such as vertical and quarter sawn teak for decking. As far as proportions and scale, well this is simply just research and observation. Some have a natural eye for it, while others need to force the issues. There are some rules of thumb, but these mostly just get you in the ball park, but not close enough to charge a client. Study (lots of it) is the only real way to acquire these skills. Personal experience and plenty of observation typically will guide your hand, eventually developing into your own style.

6. Olav

Olav naval architect

Not to mention rules and regulations you have to follow if we are talking about commercial vessels and large superyachts (SOLAS, PYC, Classification Society,...). Fire protection is a major issue when it comes to selecting interior materials.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The bottom line is basic engineering fundamentals - research the products and materials you'd like or expect to employ. This is the basis of all engineering. Yep, there are texts and guides, but ultimately you'll still need to look them up, understand the physics and concept in their implementation or commit them to memory.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.