identifying rubber on inflatable

Discussion in 'Materials' started by w_water, Jul 16, 2006.

1. w_water

w_water Class III

Hey, wonderful forum here, best i've found on the net.

Not new to inflatables, but i recently acquired a 5-man Military beacher.

Constructed by RUBBER CRAFTERS, INC. of WV under a military life-raft contract, potentially 20 yrs old, maybe more?

I was wondering how i could precisely identify the rubber used in manufacture.

Notes;

all black / fabric inserted / rubbery.

Now how would i discern noeprene vs urethane vs EPDM vs ???

thanks in advance, i look forward to replies!

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Don't forget that it could be hyplon or fabric backed polyurethane sheet.

The old army surplus rubber raft I had in 1979 was rubberized cotton cloth, rotted out in just a couple of years, all the seams came apart when the sun expanded the air - it just deflated and died.

You could just write them, quicker and cheaper than testing which glues will work.

http://oaspub.epa.gov/enviro/fii_query_dtl.disp_program_facility?p_registry_id=110007334447

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/MSE4/raftsvcrubber.htm

3. w_water

w_water Class III

That's great info!

This boat is holding together rather well, all the seams are strong, it holds air,
    only immediate issue is the oxidation of cast valve bodies, which I have replaced with Riken nylon versions. The removable inflatable bottom is almost paper-thin, and that sucks because it's bubbling up largely, in 2 spots.

Yeah i'm trying to find out whether neoprene / shore adhesive / toluol are the appropriate materials to resurface the bottom thwart with.

And maybe a re-paint because it's all black, which will be hot on the upper leg area.

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

5. w_water

w_water Class III

6. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I only have that one raft, so no.

The fabric I'm using for my hovercraft skirt is polyurethane or so I'm told. The same guy that made the ID said two part raft glue from the sources you mentioned would of worked well with it. I would like to patch over all my seams, so I might be getting some anyway. The large head 3/16" rivets and roof tape I'm using leaves a lot to be desired - I was experimenting and it kind of got away from me.

7. w_water

w_water Class III

Funny, i'm being careful not to let this "project" get away from me.

Pretty sure shore adhesive is going to be my choice. Sta-Bond is apparently very excellent all-around synthetic anything adhesive, also.

Cheers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.