i hate epoxy please help

Discussion in 'Materials' started by texasboatbuild, Jan 29, 2006.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I second PAR but I think I have quite a few spots on me that will NEVER see epoxy if I can help it. I've heard of being stuck on yourself but... :rolleyes: :p :D

2. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

I'm going to lay up a couple of centerboards over foam in the next week or two and I'll be sure to give the vinegar a try. I think I'll research a couple of bug recipes over at the food.com website now, you know, just in case :D

Jimbo

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I mean every place, it's been. I remember having to pee, one afternoon, while in the middle of a goo run. I waited as long as I could, but after a few beers things can get pretty urgent, so I was as careful as possible. Could you imagine using acetone on your love wand, let alone something with pumice in it? Trust me, vinegar is the ticket. Love bugs are in season . . .

4. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

I was covered in the stuff when I built that carbon mast a few years back. Was catalyzing 1/2 to 1 gallon at a time until about 6 gallons went by. About a gallon squeezed out during bagging. What a mess! :p

Jimbo

5. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

PAR

Methyl Alcahol (Methylated spririts) works as well, I'll remember the vinegar too.

I know a few people hyper sensitised to epoxy, the full body rash just is terrible to behold and takes weeks to go from just as small an exposure as handling a contaminated rag.
    I am told that some brands are far less likely to trigger this than others.

6. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I don't know so much about brands as the ratios. The narrower the ratio of the mix (ie: 1:1, 2:1)... the less harsh it is compared to the high ratio stuff (5:1). In the high ratio stuff, the amines are mucho potent, which is why you won't find no blush at that ratio. People who have the history or potential for alergies or asthma tend to get sensitized easily. I don't so I haven't had any problems (knock on a wood boat).

Steve

7. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

That's true in a very general way. But the catalyst I used in my mast project mixed at 5% or 19:1 and is considered a 'safe' non-sensitizing hardener. But I have not heard of a polyamide which is dangerous. Polyamides are the family of hardeners that mix at the very low ratios from 2:1 to 1:1.

Jimbo

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  8. PAR

Polyamides are a amide polymers. The ones used in epoxy mimic naturally occurring versions, though many are modified for particular qualities. A natural polyamide would be wool (or other protein) and some synthetic versions include Nylon and Aramid (the stuff they put in the side walls of tires)

I think different people react to different aspects of the chemicals used. Some have difficulty with the glycol groups in general, other the amine groups. If a person has issues with harshly alkaline things, they'll have problems with amines and likely ammonia as well, which is very similar structurally. If the epoxy is cured and a reaction is noticed, then it's probably the glycol or not crosslinked nitrogen and hydrogen molecules, left as a result of slight mix ratio difference.

Work clean, with lots of ventilation and keep it out of your hair, lungs, off your skin and try not to eat the stuff. You know you nose is going to itch, just ignore it and remove the gloves to pee (trust me), shake it off and get a new pair.

1 person likes this.
  9. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

of gloves?

10. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

:confused: :D ;)

11. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

OK progress report. Did some layup as well as adhesive bonding and remembered to try the vinegar hand cleaner trick. I used White House clear household vinegar.

It definitely has a positive effect upon contact with epoxy, at least partially breaking the adhesion of the epoxy allowing it to roll into little balls and, for the most part, rinsed from your hands.

But this is more of a 'home remedy' type solution than a real clean up method I would rely on. First, not all the epoxy was neutralized/removed even with repeated dousing/scrubbing with vinegar. It got off maybe 90% at best with both adhesive and laminating resin. At that point I switched to Cupran special which EASILY AND COMPLETELY dissolved the remaining little balls which the vinergar could not remove.

Now the Cupran has its faults, mind you. It has solvents in it and is not advise for use on delicate skin areas like the face and, well other sensitive areas ;) because it BURNS. So for those times when you have got some epoxy in one of those places, the vinegar trick definitely has value.

But for everyday hand cleaning of paints and resins, the Cupran special is the hands down winner. Not even a race, really. They also make a version without the grit called Cupran New.

Now do I have to eat HALF a june bug?

:D

Jimbo

12. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

rubber gloves , for ur arms get an old inter tube and make some sleves, i like to use tyvak suits and also there sleves and a appron they make one , for cleaner i use gunwash iam on steady course for a early grave, vinager sort of works as jimbo said, i always laugh at boat owners they want the best resins and epoxy the best fabric the best waxes , why not pay a couple of bucks and get good hand cleaner leave the vinager for the fish and chips

13. PAR

Personally I use a product called "Liquid Glove" which I think is a latex material. It's a cream that is applied to the skin, in areas you expect will need protection. It works well, though isn't a substitute for gloves. I use it on the waist band, elbows and neck areas, particularly when grinding 'glass. It washes off with soap and water, plus isn't very expensive. I used to get it at the local paint store, but now have my local Ace Hardware guy order it for me. I was the only guy buying it, several years ago, but now lots of folks have figured this stuff out.

No Jimbo, not half a June bug. That may be a bit much, but you could bite the head off one, to prove your a man of your word . . .

14. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

No epoxy..no nail..meh..!

This guy used no epoxy and no nail..only wood peg.

Attached Files:

15. Toot

Toot Senior Member

Allow me to join in the thread pirating. Haarrrrr!!!!!

I use mechanic's soap.. you know, the stuff that you buy at the autoparts store for $9/gallon. It's got d-liminine (sp?) in it (that orange stuff) and pumice. Some people will say that the pumice is hard on your skin, but I've turned a number of girls onto using it as a facial scrub- much cheaper and does a better job than those $10/ounce creams they sell at the beauty store.

The trick is though, you've gotta find one with all the moisturizers in it. Shea butter, lanolin, etc. If you find one with heavy moisturizers, repeated use doesn't really bother you. And the d-liminine stuff is great (and environmentally friendly).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.