how to get rid of defective laminate?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by pulsar, Jun 19, 2007.

1. pulsar

pulsar Mechanical engineer

I put glass with epoxy over ply and it's not dry everywhere. i do not how to get rid of glass without cutting out? sanding it's not good. epoxy is very sticky.
    Is there any method to do this in easy way?

Pulsar

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

If the epoxy isn't dry everywhere, can you guess the reason? When you mixed it, did you mix completely? Was the ply a bit damp?
    How long has it been since you layed on the epoxy? I would try a heat lamp on the sticky areas, and if the other side of the ply is bare, a bit of heat there too. Give it time. Under certain conditions (cold, damp), epoxy can seem to take forever to cure.
    If you cannot get it to cure, you have to cut it out. If you're not sure it will cure ever, cut now all the way beyond the sticky area into the good area. use a sharp razor, go deep enough to make sure you're all the way through, and peel it off. Clean the surface with acetone well, and tomorrow feather the edges around and patch over it. When that's sanded, the patch will feather into the surrounding area.

Alan

3. pulsar

pulsar Mechanical engineer

In my opinion it could be damp in air and mayby too low temperature. Epoxy was mix completly. I will try with lamps...

Best regards
    Pulsar

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.