houseboat roof repair replace help

Discussion in 'Materials' started by soloblazer, Mar 25, 2013.

1. thegrooveship

thegrooveship A 3 Hour Tour

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Look, I'll give you my better half's phone number, could you call and tell her this . . . pleeeeease?

When putting thing up on the flybridge, think light wight. You could get fancy, with built in cup holders and storage, but I've found simpler is usually easier to live with and easier to make and maintain too.

3. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Take note of 'boatfan's' comments - weight, rot, spores etc.. Yes, this is a housetop (roof) but people are walking on it so treat it like a deck. Many "roof" membranes do not take traffic too well and if you happen to get a lady in high heels, especially so.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Boatfan's comments were directed at a different boat, much earlier in the thread. I would not treat this cabin roof as a deck, it's not structured for this loading, which is why I suggest returning it back to what it once was, a flybridge with limited seating and less then desirable footing, except around the helm. This will keep traffic down and make folks uncomfortable enough to not want to use it as a dance floor. If it was me, I'd place a rail, behind the bridge seating, so you'd have to climb over it to get at the cabin roof proper.

5. thegrooveship

thegrooveship A 3 Hour Tour

My wife thinks the opposite. She said she would rather never leave the slip than remove the deck.

Based on your input

I will pull some planks up and see if the roof is soft underneath first to try and understand why the deck was put there.

I'll remove the forward planks in the flybridge area too so I can drive.

Thanks for your help!

6. MISSBOATBUILDER

MISSBOATBUILDER Junior Member

New to Forum

Hello

I am sorry I am in the wrong spot, I just want to start a new post - but I don`t know how!

I am starting an ambitious project with my sister in law. We are planning to build a small house boat which we can both tow with her truck.

I know about building roofs for houses (not marine) and leaky roofs to rotted roofs, examine your floor and walls, to ensure there isn`t a further problems. I would for sure remove the wood. If you cover it now, it will only band aid the problem. Now to figure out how to start my own post!

7. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the forum. (To start your own topic, or thread, navigate to the most appropriate forum, whether it's boatbuilding, materials, powerboats, etc. and click the New Thread [​IMG] button near the top and bottom of the list of existing threads in that forum.)

8. MISSBOATBUILDER

MISSBOATBUILDER Junior Member

Thank you!

I appreciate your help. I finally figured it out reading FAQ. I hope you solve your roof deck problem.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.