House boat in need of foam to keep it from sinking

Discussion in 'Materials' started by mydauphin, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Raftman1979

Raftman1979 Junior Member

Probably sank.

Dude said the inside of the hull was inaccessible? If it's still afloat due to constant pumping or something, would it be accessible to a small boy like 8-10 yrs old? I used to be able to get into places nobody would think even a cat could get into.

So this was some 2x4's nailed to the bottom, the 2x4's fell off, opening up the nail holes?

How about getting new pressure-treated 2x4's and have a couple of scuba divers hold them in place (while another guy watches for gators) and have a small boy inside the hull with a cordless drill and run screws from the inside, into the 2x4's, through the existing holes.

Use the kind of screws that they use to hold sheet metal roofing material down. They have rubber gaskets, and it's probably not hard to teach a 10 yr old boy how to do it. I knew how to operate basic power tools when I was that age.

2. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

I just came across this thread and haven't read everything, but it sounds to me like a way needs to be found to jack this thing up. Does anyone have an idea short of hiring a crane? If you were going to go to hiring a crane, would you look for a company with some sort of marine pile driving experience? How do you jack something up that has mud under it? Can it be moved to a spot that's not so muddy?

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

just sink it and collect the insurance like any normal person would do !!:D

The guys a nut loose anyway and its all problems of his own making !! sink it and make sure hes goes down with it !!
    His wife might even say thank you !!:)

When i laid wood floors had a guy laid a new floor in less than a month his wife stuffed the floor from wet mopping it ! so told the guy to ring the insurance company and say he had a flood from a dish washer .
    I got a thank message a couple of months later !!they paid and he got a new floor and his wife learned never to wet mop a wood floor !! :p

4. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

If you could find huge inflatable fenders or something you could inflate them under the house. Perhaps then you could get a flat boat like a sunfish or sailfish under the house and do the work lying on (your) back.

My brother, a mechanic, has long used a skateboard for working under cars.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

The crocodilians would eat you.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.