Home made Hypalon tubes

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Nojjan, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

Can I glue hypalon tubes myself? I have found some suppliers of the fabric and the glue but is it wise to try it myself? / N

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Try using the search function on this topic - all forums.

I think NRS sells a two part glue which may work. However I think they also clarify that it's for patches/repairs even though you may be able to do more with it.

This might be it............there are others - do your homework.

Stabond" Adhesive - Item #1903
    http://nrsweb.resultspage.com/boating/Glue

3. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

I know how to get the material and glue. I was looking for someone with experience of doing it to advice if I should even attempt it myself or just buy tubes on drawing by a professional manufacturer.

BR / N

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

hypalon tubes

I watched them glue up some tubes at a well know firm on the far western coast of Canada--BC
    The gluing is no problem, my guess is they were the lowest paid employees.
    Getting the proper cuts on the fabric with overlay would be the difficult part
    if you did not have plans. Stan

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

My pressures are not as great as yours, but for my hovercraft skirt I will be trying thermal polyurethane.............glue for emergency repairs maybe.

I used simple "darts" to get a Zodiac-look on the last skirt which was sewn (wife helped - a lot).

Example:
    http://www.carnuts.us/viewtopic.php?t=446
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Use an old raft as a pattern, take it apart and reverse engineer it. Just don't make a bunch of them and sell them to a bunch of people or you might get in legal trouble that way.

EDIT: Five years ago I looked into having a raft shop make some up for me. They wanted $200 and hour for drawing it up and they would keep all rights to it afterwords.

6. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

Nojjan, did you go ahead with building hypalon tubes? I've done a bit of it and getting a good looking finished product is no easy task! I would seek out a competent tube builder, you don't get a second chance with glue. Good luck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.