High Tensile Steel for boat building

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Wellydeckhand, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Hai Forum,

I have seen High Tensile Steel being used for building coal mining Dump truck. I wonder of wheather members of the forum have ever encounter such usage in boat building?

What is the characteristic of the material, why it is always a substitution of steel? It must be strong as the name implied -HIGH TENSILE STEEL- but why dont we see it commonly use though out the boat and ship trade?

Wellydeckhand

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Last I heard, the ABS did not have standards for HT steel in place. Therefore no boat/ship could be built in the USA with this alloy and expect to be certified.

Overseas shipyards, though, can and do use it. Kvaerner/Masa-Yards is one. HT steel (and many other advanced steels such as HSLA types) cannot be welded with conventional torches, it requires more sophisticated inert-gas arc welding equipment- which brings with it higher startup costs and better-trained labour. These are the main reasons why it is rarely used despite its many benefits: it is expensive for a yard to convert to the new metal, and certain regulatory agencies are dragging their feet.

1 person likes this.
  3. Wellydeckhand

Too Bad in my neighbourhood it is for making the containment of dump truck. For the same area of work the HTS will be lighter because of it thinner allowance for the same spec.

It would be nice to find a right design for this material. The welding part would be no problem just shield welding.

4. nero

nero Senior Member

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Previous Member

High tensile steel acn be used at high stress design that normal material could not have the capacity plus strength.

6. Wellydeckhand

7. antonfourie

antonfourie Senior Member

It is HTS brand named by a particular mill

8. Wellydeckhand

Sorry............. HTS mean High Tensile Steel.

9. antonfourie

antonfourie Senior Member

Sorry I was a bit short on my explaination, Corten is a HTS that is manufactured by a certain mill / company and is marketed as such, your dump truck builder next door should know about it, it is used mostly in high wear applications i.e. chutes for rock crushers etc

10. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

ABS AH32, AH36, etc. are higher strength steels. They have been used in class for decades. They are common in high speed light craft. Copper bearing HSLA steels are also common, and can be qualified to ABS H32, etc.

11. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

SSAB, Sweden.

Yoke.

12. Wellydeckhand

So what will be the greatest advantage to build a hip or boat out of this material?

13. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Well, I would assume hips would need surgical steel ;)

just kidding :D

14. Mayfly

Mayfly Previous Member

Stainess steel and platinum, HTS in body would rot the tissue.

15. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Ah, not just any stainless steel. Surgical steel. And titanium! (I have both in my foot. Heh, one of the ti-screws was supposed to be surgical, but I asked the surgeon if they couldn't see how many of them could be exchanged for titanium ones, and in all but one place they put titanium in instead.

Ah, I do like that metal :D

Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack anything, please go back on track.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.