Heatforming foam to compound curvature

Discussion in 'Materials' started by patrik111, Sep 14, 2007.

1. patrik111

patrik111 Junior Member

Hi,

Is it possible to heatform compound curvature using corecell/Airex or similar foam core material?

If so, to what extent?
    My purpose is a female stringed mould with termoformed foam for a beachcat hull. But avoiding the horizontal stripping.

All input is greatly appriciated

2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

3. patrik111

patrik111 Junior Member

Compound curvature

Hi,

What I am looking for is compound curvature, i.e. bent in two directions at the same point.

The material I find in brochures etc indicate bending in one direction. To a certain extent, it seems to be possible to bend in two directions, but I have no data on how tight radius might be possible.

BR

4. patrik111

patrik111 Junior Member

It is possible!

Heatforming Airex to compound shapes is possible. Although the radii possible is quite much larger than possible if curved in one direction only.

BR

5. lighterisfaster

lighterisfaster New Member

Thermoforming Corecell

Hi patrik111

Please contact me at andrew.bellamy@gurit.com and I will be happy to forward you a copy of the Corecell Thermoforming Guide.

Best regards

Andrew Bellamy
    Composites Processing Manager
    Gurit (Corecell)

6. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Hi Andrew,

Maybe you can post it here so others can download and review it too ... :)

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

We have heated Airex into simple (33ft boat) compound curves with a duct from a normal home hot air furnace.

The wall thermostat was paralleled with an of-on switch and the foam placed in a wide duct for a few min.

Gloves are needed to remove the Airex and it was placed on the male plug and simply rubbed to get the shape.

As with most Airex construction the sheet was fastened to the plug by sewing with a needle and heavy thread.
    After the outer skin was laid up the threads were slashed after the hull was rolled upright , and installed in a "keep the hull shape cradle".

Nice method for one or two boats , but the hassle of long boarding the outer surface to acceptable yacht finish is long and very labor intensive (and boring)!

I have seen builders that used a hot water tank , and weights to hold the Airex submerged to heat it.

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.