Gorilla Glue

Discussion in 'Materials' started by softreq, Aug 9, 2004.

1. softreq

softreq New Member

Has anyone tried gorilla glue in the boatbuilding? I've tried it on a few wood projects and it seems to work pretty good.

2. joshh

joshh New Member

yeah, me too.
    So far I've used G.G. for sailboat models and such. Everything seems to be okay. But it's not a fair test as the boats are well-painted before getting wet. Someday I will begin building a small Herreshoff wooden sailboat, and I'd like to continue to use this glue. Interested in your topic,
    Josh Hantman, Philadelphia

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

No, no and no again. Gorillas are a protected species. I suggest you try Cascamite. A two part (powder and acid) marine glue. :D

4. JEM

JEM Senior Member

5. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Gorilla Glue - Jems note

Good article by JEM - very informative - great to have such a through test to hand - and a warning to us timber men to avoid sailing i boiling water :D

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Gorilla Glue - Jems note

Good article by JEM - very informative - great to have such a thorough test to hand - and a warning to us timber men to avoid sailing i boiling water :D

7. JEM

JEM Senior Member

lol...no don't boil your boat!

Simmer slowly covered for 1/2 hour, stir occasionally.

8. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Very good JEM, for our American friends it is. Safe for the Sikaflex you won't find any Gorilla's in the EEC - I have a weakness for glues and this test you provided us with is for me of more value than any test done under laboratory conditions.
    I have glued anything to anything and learned a bit whilst working in the aircraft industry.
    I had a Lambo Espada that had a broken steeringhouse that was made out of a magnesium alloy and that could not be repaired. The car went finally to the Fokker Aircraft plant wher the engine was taken out, thoroughly cleaned and glued with one of the first epoxy's that were used for glueing the Phantom wings together.
    Although I was supercautious in the beginning, that slackened slowly.
    A few years ago I saw the car again and had a chance to look for the glueline.
    It still existed.

I believe it was glued with an epoxy made by Ciba-Geigy - industrial formulation and not available in the commercial field.
    The best glues are often not for sale to the general public for legal reasons.

9. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

10. Baldur

Baldur Junior Member

Gorilla glue is good stuff.
    I wonder how it would work with epoxy?
    Using gorilla glue to bond frames, then encapsulating the assembly in epoxy???
    This seems like a very simple alternative to epoxy bonding, as long as the fit-up has no large gaps.

11. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

Jem, that was great and very infomative. A question I have though is ! did you check and see if the glues have any elasticity. Epoxy has elasticity (a little give and take).
    Just a question
    Ben

12. JEM

JEM Senior Member

I didn't do that test. Just an article I saw.

I personally won't use anything but epoxy. The few $ saved is not worth it to me. But that's just me.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.