glueing marine fabric for roof extension

Discussion in 'Materials' started by the brain, Feb 21, 2017.

1. the brain

the brain Senior Member

glueing marine fabric for roof extension

I'm planning on glueing two pieces of fabric together for the desired size

finale piece will be 6'X6'

when I glue how much overlap of fabric?

Thanks STB

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

What kind of fabric?

3. the brain

the brain Senior Member

4. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

No idea, but that listing ended a month ago.

Pose a question to the seller.

Perhaps you should just sew it.

5. the brain

the brain Senior Member

seller's response

eBay

New message from: fabric_2nds Top Rated Seller(2,399Red Star)

Sorry we just sell the fabric we don't have any expertise on how to glue it.

6. kaamaman

kaamaman Junior Member

7. the brain

the brain Senior Member

The Tear mender looks kindof good have you used personalley?
    STB

8. kaamaman

kaamaman Junior Member

Worked great on a patch.
    Never tried it on joining a seam.
    You would have to try a test with some scrap material.

1 person likes this.
  9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is an acrylic fabric, so many adhesives will do, though some will be sized or have surface resins on them.

Tear Mender is an old latex (yeah real latex, though now likely formulated as an acrylic) glue. It has a quite short working time and once opened will cure, like it or not. It's not very strong, but does have some flexibility. It's available at Wal-Mart and other stores, but I ask the same, why glue something that should be sewn? If you want this to last (the glue will not), just take it down to the local awning shop and have them run a zigzag stitch along the seam. The zigzag stitch will permit the seam to stretch a little, before the threads break (a good thing on a awning or dodger). A awning shop will not charge much for a couple of yards of seam and it'll be done in no time at all.

10. the brain

the brain Senior Member

I didn't see the tear mender at the local walmart

what do you think about this glue I can purchase localley?

Thanks STB

https://www.amazon.com/E6000-237032...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z94F67QH11AZ5P28GQC6

acualley I was planning on piecing together my fabric first will be joining the two pieces for correct width still unsure how much to overlap here.

then fold over the sides kindof like hemming pants so the fabric won't unravel, I plan to have the sides bend over the poles the next stage here will be gluing in flexable awning rope that will hold the (eventaulley) side/aft curtains.w/ this http://www.sailrite.com/Awning-Rope-Vinyl-3-8

I also want to glue the awning rope to the width of fabric this how the fabric will attach to my hardtop. w/ this http://www.sailrite.com/Keder-Awning-Rope-Tape

after I glue it then I wouldn't mind paying someone to sew it.

here's a image of my progress stage 1 the telescoping poles

the poles are suprising stronge it rained hard last night and filled the tempuary tarp the poles flex a little but didn't break.

yes I admit it appears primitive however it's not done, the main objectives here are protection from the Gulf of Mexicos stronge sun and be free of vertical surpots and have the option to choose how much to extend a little /halfway or fully.

edit the fabric I have is waterproof is there a top side and a bottom side? I'm wanting to glue the fabric not the repellant?

Thanks Guy's for the surport

Attached Files:

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I think you're looking to make quite a mess with the glue ideas. All of the things you'd like to do (bond two pieces together, make some hems, etc.) are best sewn. I'll also bet most awning shops aren't going to want to sew though the glue, for fear it will gum up their needles and machines. Typically, when prepping for seams and hems, it's taped or pinned into position. The tape is removed as it enters the machine foot or afterward, the pins the same, depending on hem or seam width. The width is dependant on the stitch width and how much room the foot needs to hold it down as the stitches are put in. Also, the material is folded over on itself at least twice, so it doesn't leave an exposed edge. When combining this with a seam, you'll have to sew through several layers of material to accomplish this. This is where the glue mess will come to play. If you have normal size seams and hems, you have ooze out everywhere, as you try to flatten out the areas along them. A well done sewn seam is less than a 1/2" wide.

Take a 12" long strip, say a few inches wide and fold it along one edge, then again along the same edge, so you can bury the exposed edge (prevents fraying). Now, try to glue this and see how it works out. You'll be inventing new adjectives and clever ways to curse in no time, I'll bet.

12. the brain

the brain Senior Member

Damn I just rolled out my new canvas roof section and found out this professionalle ulpostor has royally screwed up the roof.

I showed up w/ a nice square piece of canvas can't understand how it could be so crooked?

any suggestion on tideing up fabric hanging over side poles?

edit I decided to get the 30 guage clear vinyl for the aft. window I kindof like this aft curtain.

I was planning to attach awning rail to the tube that the roof canvas rolls uponto then attach the aft w/ awning rope same as I attached canvas to HT.

I was checking out some of the snap button tools at walmarts fabric area there was a few which tool do I need to revit the female part of snap remember the male snaps are already builtin?https://www.walmart.com/ip/17337822?...&wl13=&veh=sem
    Thanks Capt. Steve

Attached Files:

13. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Take it back to the guy who sewed it.
    With the picture.

14. the brain

the brain Senior Member

yes This fabric needs resewing

any suggestion on tideing up fabric hanging over side poles? maybe velcrow?

15. the brain

the brain Senior Member

I'm still waiting for advice on

any suggestion on tideing up fabric hanging over side poles?

I've also decided to relocate the aft. pole that the fabric rolls upon farrer aft. and remove the rubber handles this will allow the aft faric to flop over nicer.
    STB

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.