FSC Mill Looking for Input - Quartersawn Lumber Used In Boatbuilding

Discussion in 'Materials' started by techyjeff, Feb 24, 2008.

1. techyjeff

techyjeff Jeff K

Hello,

Looking for input on types of quartersawn lumber used in boat building; species, grade, dimensions, etc.

I run a specialty band saw mill operation from a commercial log yard in Bethlehem, NH and focus on lumber for boat builders, cabinet and furniture makers.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Can you get your hands on a book Boat Building Techniques Illustrated by Richard Birmingham. There's quite good table of the woods and sawing patterns. There must be other sources too. If you don't find I can send a picture of the pages..

3. nero

nero Senior Member

I use yellow cypress. Sassafras is also good. 18 mm thick (surfaced) Strip width is 35 to 50 mm wide. Spruce stock would be something good also.

4. techyjeff

techyjeff Jeff K

Thanks TeddyDiver & Nero for your input.

TeddyDiver, I would appreciate it if you would post pictures of the pages. I'll also do a search for that book and buy it, assuming I can find.

Best Regards
    Jeff

5. techyjeff

techyjeff Jeff K

I just found and ordered the book through Amazon; used at ~$25.

Cheers
    Jeff

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.