Flexiteek Decking

Discussion in 'Materials' started by deck-man, Dec 18, 2006.

1. deck-man

deck-man Junior Member

I have looked at all other synthetic 'teak' products, and most look like they are plastic. Take a look at Flexiteek, it is a little more expensive than say, Plasteek, or Tek-Dek, but the quality is far beyond any of the others. The expected life for Flexiteek is 15 years for heavy traffic. The non-skid is unsurpassed (wet/dry). It is stain resistant (fish blood/red wine/usual foot dirt) all you will need is a semi hard bristled brush and some Simple Green, and brush across the grain, and it is back to new. You will never have to replace a caulk seam (as you would with Tek-Dek). Flexiteek is also UV resistant, and has a very low combustibility.

Personally I would never put a real teak deck on any boat, if for nothing else than the cost and the maintenance. Unless you mill the teak yourself, you are looking at about $100 per squre foot installed for 14 mil. (Florida Prices). And then you have the yearly cost of sanding, replacing failed caulk seams, split bungs, etc. With Flexiteek, you are looking from $40 - $60 a square, installed, and only an occasional clean with soap and water. To get the same life out a real teak deck you would have to install 24 mil teak, and that is $150 square foot (conservatively). You also have no holes drilled into your deck. And you use a hybrid bostick epoxy to adhere it to your deck. This doesnt completely harden, so you have a completely watertight membrane protecting your deck from water damage, mold, or rot.

And if none of that does it for you, consider the gas. A square foot of 14 mil teak weighs approximately 6 lbs. A square foot of Flexiteek weighs 1.5 lbs. That makes more a lot less weight to haul around, and that means alot less gas.

If you need any other info, please feel free to contact me via email.

Thanks,

Mark

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.