Fishing Boat

Discussion in 'Materials' started by FishingRod, May 5, 2004.

1. FishingRod

FishingRod New Member

I have a 16' aluminum deep-v that I would like to add a floor, front casting deck, livewell and storage to make it a "walleye" type fishing boat. My question is what types of materials and fasteners would be best fro this application? I plan to carpet the floor and also add pedestal seats. Thank you for your input. :D

2. Timm

Timm Senior Member

FishingRod,
    You would probably find it easiest to use treated ply, such as XL10 from Greenwood Forest Products. Fasteners would have to be stainless as anything else will cause corrosion. Even the stainless should be treated with some type of insulating product. I have seen some caulking type materials for this, but can't recall their names. Whatever materials you use, be very careful not to add too much weight to the hull as it will make it unstable and possibly dangerous. Is this hull also offered in a model similar to what you want to do? If so, take a good long look at how they did it before proceeding. The pedestal seats will have to be through-bolted and the floor will have to be adequately secured to withstand the torque loads of the seat base. Hope this helps.

3. JDTriGroup

JDTriGroup Junior Member

FishingRod,
    You could always try Carpeting a couple peices of marine ply. if you mount any brackets or however you choose to secure the ply in, you will have to seal any holes made on the outside of the hull (no matter how tight you screw something in it can always leak. hope that helped!
    ~John~

4. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

Marine plywood would be fine. A little epoxy resin to make fillets and tab in the panels with fiberglass and you should be fine. We have some how-to and tutorial files at our site if you need help.

Joel Shine
    General Manager
    Boatbuildercentral.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.