filler for scraps

Discussion in 'Materials' started by okieman98, Nov 17, 2005.

1. okieman98

okieman98 New Member

what would be the best to use to fill scrapes on hull and on bow before paint. that would sand well, my son bought a 77 glasstron Carlson all fiberglass boat and wants us to repaint it , what primer and paint would be best, he wants to shoot flake on it. i have never painted something this big, just a few cars, never shot flake, but i told him we would try, what tip size etc.

built a few speed boats but had them painted for show, trailer queens ,bondo for filler not good for a boat to use i would not think. auto body guys use it on alot of stuff here.

any help and advice would be great:confused:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Bondo is fine for cosmetic repairs. For info on tip size, primer, etc. you'll be better asking the paint supplier. They can match products for you.

3. okieman98

okieman98 New Member

thanks for the help

4. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

for pin holes try some acrlyc filler at an auto paint shop. as far as primer use a high build primer this will fill more than you think. Hell use PPG auto paint if the boat is not resting in water for too long. i have used PPG car paint on my boat so far I have gotten 3 years out of it and still holding up very well

5. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

take a can of bondo and place it on the ground and kick it the hell away from ur boat do not use bondo do u have any idel the amount of repairs the pros get to do because some do your selfer use bondo it will take in water like a sponge use a epoxy paste like sikens they also have yacht paint

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.