Expired oil field pipe?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Wellydeckhand, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Hello,

My recent finding have made me found a dozen expired oil rig pipes...... these pipe look very tough but I dont know if we can use it to a certain extend within boatbuilding?

They come in various diameter....... from 1.5 inch to 3.5 inch any use?

Thanks

WDH

2. solrac

solrac 100% sudaca

an advice: DO NEVER try to torch them until you can be sure there is no any residual oil on the inside!!!! even if the pipes had been out there for long time...
    there is an established proceed method to degasifying on the means of a close cycle continuous recirculation of water to some container with a pump, or filling them with some inert gas (Nitrogen or CO2) until you can obrtain certain measures with an explosimeter
    the basic numbers you must obtain on the explosimeter screen to surely "work" those pipes are:
    Free Oxygen on the inside of the pipe less than 15% (normal atmosphere is 21-22%) (Only way tapping both ends before injecting inert gas)
    LEL (Lower explosivity level) > 10% (no more than 100ppm volatile gases diffused on air)
    Some other residual gases pipes can have are dangerous to human health... H2S (sulphydric acid) on concentrations upper than 150ppm (normally found on diesel piping) are on the live-or-death exposition limits...

good luck (good luck? better throw them away fast...)

1 person likes this.
  3. Wellydeckhand

These stuff is clean and sand blasted........ can we actually utilised it in part of boat building? Beam?

WDH

4. nero

nero Senior Member

You can weld it into a truss and use it for handling the steel plates of your new project.

Handrails? Wind the steel pipe in rope and dope it for a more traditional look.

1 person likes this.
  5. Wellydeckhand

Yup....... I have an offer for 250 pipe of such origin....... wonder if I can make a stronger boat by this component...... They are stroooong metal pipe with highest cert., hope it is a viable option.

WDH

6. nero

nero Senior Member

If it is cheap, buy it. There is always something you can use if for.

7. Wellydeckhand

Thanks........ I am still thinking for beam construction

8. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I remember reading something about using them for dragster and race car custom chassis back in the 60's. As you said strong, very good material and possibly machined?? so the size tolerance and finish was excellent compared to any other tubing. Sam

9. Wellydeckhand

The pipe have been try for making sword for the local........ very hard to cut and roll it flat.......... to stamp and even under heat........ good solid result .

For boat you cant use very stiff material that why you have marine grade......... I was wondering if we can build internal superstructure with this material and hull in marine mild steel......... this can proviede both aspect with different strength.

WDH

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Some people used to build multichine hulls with pipes for chines. They welded the plates to the pipe which gives a rounded edge. It is supposed to be stronger and a round edge tends to chip paint less.

11. Wellydeckhand

Yes, you are right, locally I get all sort of ideas from local builder....... these oil pipe tnd to be material stronger and good replacement for alot of stuff..... the plate still need to be mild steel.......

Thanks

WDH

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.