evo-stik serious stuff

Discussion in 'Materials' started by davidcarey, Feb 4, 2012.

1. davidcarey

davidcarey Junior Member

Is evo-stik "serious stuff" a viable alternative to epoxy , i was thinking in terms of stitch and glue , or strip planking small boats . Has anyone actually used this ?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you are going to fiberglass over, it is possible. However, I don't see any advantage on using mis-matched adhesives.

3. davidcarey

davidcarey Junior Member

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Not familiar with this stuff, but what level of waterproofness is it? Can it pass the "type 1" test? Is it compatible with epoxy, so a sheathing will remain stuck? Sounds like is more costly and sets up too fast for reasonable assembly times. It seems to be a single part polyurethane, which will work, but again it's going to be more costly then epoxy in the same quantities, though possably easier to squirt out of a caulking gun. You can squirt epoxy out of a gun too, so . . .

5. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

Register with Bostick, download the safety data sheet and find out what is in the tube. Very often these type of tubes contain an acrylic based adhesive similar to decorators caulk. If that is the case, definitely not an appropriate adhesive for boat use...in my opinion.
    Nick.