European sources for polyester fabric?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by laukejas, Oct 19, 2014.

1. laukejas

laukejas Senior Member

Hi all,

I'm planning to build a skin-on-frame sailboat Annabelle, designed by Dave Gentry. I chose this design because of ultra-light weight (29kg) for 3.07m boat.

I am living in Lithuania, and before I order the plans, I need to source all materials. What I'm stuck at is fabric for skin. I need is uncoated 8-10oz polyester. I'll need 7 meters of it, width isn't important. Cotton or nylon won't work.

I've been writing in various kayak builder forums and contacting manufacturers in Europe, but can't find anything. There are some sources in USA, like George Dyson, but shipping will cost me more than the material itself.

Please, help me out. I'm really lost here.

2. Westel

Westel Senior Member

Sorry, misunderstood the question and posted a wrong link.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Have you tried material shops, tentmakers and/or and upholsterers in your area yet Young Luke ? ( the force is strong in this one :) )

4. laukejas

laukejas Senior Member

He he, I had my suspicions on your misspelling :D

I have tried. There are several sailmakers. They import lightweight Dacron from USA in rolls, and their price is shooting through the roof. Anyway, it's already laminated stuff, already heat-shrunk.

Same for material shops. No one manufactures things like tents here, they import finished products and sell them. Even those who have heavy fabrics, they have them already coated, therefore, unsuitable to heat shrinking and sewing. There's plenty of that, mainly laminated PVC fabric for truck covers.

I am now searching for cotton canvas. Artist shops sell these for painting, uncoated. They might have heavy stuff, not pre-cut to frames. I hope so.

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I have built several canoes out of that stuff, and it will work fine.

Keep an eye out for a flexible, almost tar like waterproofing, brushable coating from plumbing and hardware shops/

I found ordinary house paint tended to flex and crack easily, but the waterproofing compound stayed flexible and waterproof for the life of the canoe. Its usually black, but fades to a dark grey as it cures.

6. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Tom Yost has designed a series of kayaks which he covers in PVC-laminated polyester fabric. Maybe you could use his technique to cover your hull.

http://yostwerks.com/

http://yostwerks.com/SkinMenu.html

7. laukejas

laukejas Senior Member

thanks, rwatson. I'll keep looking.

ImaginaryNumber, thanks, I'm well familiar with Tom's works. However, laminated PVC cannot be heat shrunk, therefore, boats with rocker cannot be made without cut outs and darts, which add a lot of complexity and water drag.

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

The 'complexity' is imagined. Its like wrapping xmas presents.

The water drag is also only big in your imagination. Sure, there is a small amount of extra turbulance ,but not as much that you will notice it.

If you were trying to achieve high hull speeds, it would matter, but you will be lucky to do more than 4 knots, so the effect will be negligible.

For this kind of boat, all this 'finessing' is just not rrequired.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.