Epoxy Vinyl Ester? Pros and Cons?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by allan white, Mar 17, 2007.

1. allan white

allan white Junior Member

In the past i have built a few prototype canoe hulls out of vacuum infusioned MAS (Manu.) epoxy. To eliminate ultra violet (UV) light degradation I have been planning on switching to infused Vinyl Ester. I recently looked at a canoe website that sayes they build their boats with Epoxy Vinyl Ester (E/VE).

Is this E/VE a new product? Or am I totally confused about epoxy/ vinyl ester? Is it UV sensitive like traditional epoxy?
    Does anyone have experience working with E/VE?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Allan

2. AVMan

AVMan Junior Member

"Epoxy" Vinyl Esters

All these resins are made up of epoxy molecules reacted with adipic acid (I believe) to create vinyl groups on the ends instead of epoxide. In other words, a standard vinyl ester. I believe almost all vinyl esters are made this way, but I could be wrong (I believe there are some made from urethane backbones also...). Derakane vinyl ester resins are the same thing, so its nothing new at all.

3. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Yes, VE has some things in common with epoxy, but it's more or less creative advertising.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.