Epoxy Preference?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by die_dunkelheit, Feb 15, 2012.

1. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Offhand- any question which is "epoxy preference" and does not include specific application requirements leads me to believe that ease of use is the primary goal.

My take- fast bulk mixing so a 2:1 ratio, blush free, sufficient pot life in the volumes needed for the project at hand, at the temps during use and viscosity matched to type of work being done.

Speaking of ease of use; is anyone using the Awlfair epoxy fairing putty from US paints?
    Great stuff- pot life to beat the band, silky smooth and sands out to a perfect feather edge.
    If done well no pin holes to speak of and leaves a surface to which a shoot of 545 leads right to topcoats.

Expensive?
    Perhaps but saves time to client and job so 'pays for itself'..

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I like Awlfair , Great stuff when somebody else pays for it.

What is the new ProSet fairing bog ? any cheaper, better

Homemade bog mix suffers from density issues due to human measuring. Troublesome to be sanding a mix of cured dense and light fairing.

http://www.prosetepoxy.com/fairing.html

3. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

That was not my test so I would guess no UV protection was in RAKA's epoxy as I've had that article quite awhile. I've talked to them on the phone and they were very helpful. Their fiber glass products, etc. also seem to be priced below most others.

5. Charly

Charly Senior Member

I can vouch for RAKA.

I have placed many small orders with them over the past two years and have had no problems. I thought their prices were about the best around, but have not checked out Progressive, and also have not used RAKA's new UV resistant product. They have several types of resin. I use their thin, medium and thick standard resins, depending on what I am doing with it. Also they have some pretty good deals on 17 oz biax you can get it for four dollars a yard in 38 inch widths.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Your all talking way above my head. This thread is for professional only.

7. Yobarnacle

I'm no pro boat builder! But seamen are generally jacks of all trades. With advice and help from folks like the members of the forum, even ambitious projects can be attempted. Like my project boat.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Not much help when 2 pros are talking. Abbreviations dont help --what the hell is RAKA ?

Is that a manufacturers label or method of application, sorry ille just go away.

9. Yobarnacle

http://www.raka.com/

a vendor of frp products. Maybe they manufacture.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

And frp is?

11. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

F....iber
    R....einforced
    P....lastic

Often commonly referred to as fiberglass when the reinforcing fiber is made of glass, the plastic can be polyester resin or epoxy etc
    Jeff

12. Yobarnacle

can also be carbon fiber, kevlar cloth, ect. now days all ain't fiberglass but its still FRP

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ye ha I just learned something.

14. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Right on, Like GRP... we could go acronym berserk with Linen/Carbon/Hemp/etc. I've gone home plenty of times with a T Shirt Reinforced with Epoxy Plastic & years ago when I had more, Hair Reinforced Plastic.

Back on track though, for small epoxy jobs I'll just grab some International HT 9000 resin kit from the chandlers, for larger jobs the Nuplex brand is reasonably priced though I haven't had the need for a while. Jeff.

15. die_dunkelheit

die_dunkelheit NA Student

Waikikin; Hahaha! We'll call it "TRP" and "HRP". Before my interest in boating really took off I built a couple recurve bows (archery, not the front of a boat..) as a hobby bowyer. Silk and linen are common backing materials in traditional archery. The back of the bow being the outside of the arc is subjected to enormous tension when the bow is drawn, really gives you a respect for the strength of some natural materials.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.