Epoxy mixing kit in a salad?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by lewisboats, Jul 15, 2014.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

[​IMG]

What you have here (aside from a darn tasty salad) is a 3 oz mixing cup, a 2 oz mixing cup and two mixing trays... or one tray with a water bath to keep the epoxy cool. You can even re-purpose the fork as a mixing tool. I have bought these salads from $3.98 down to $2.85 on sale. The salad is worth that with all the containers as a bonus.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If it wasn't for having to eat the salad, it would be a good deal.

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

think of it as a $3 mixing tray kit that comes with a free salad.

You could find all of those trays on line, without the salad, for pennies, but you would have to buy hundreds of them. email the supplier to send you some "samples" for free.

4. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Better still.
    Go to your local supermarket and wait for someone to buy a the salad.
    Follow them home and in a couple of days, raid their rubbish bin.
    Presto, 4 empty containers.
    With my luck though, the idiots saved them to mix epoxy in!!

Poida

5. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

That could also double as a paint tray for small jobs, 3" rollers.

Yogurt containers are also great for mixing up fairly small batches of resin. The Greek yogurt is supposed to be good for you. Paul, have a salad and a yogurt for lunch and you're good for the afternoon and you'll be ready for your next epoxy job. Yum....

6. PAR

I should eat more salad, but I do seem to crap well enough anyway . . .

7. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

We'll all sleep better tonight knowing that PAR.

8. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Don't knock the salad too much... aside from the lettuce you get chicken, colbyjack, green peppers, onions, parsley, tomatoes, corn chip pieces, fried red peppers, fried Jalapenos, and Chipotle ranch dressing. Tasty, with different crunchy textures and a bit of heat.

9. bregalad

bregalad Senior Member

C'mon PAR ... you live in the South.

You can get an almost identical epoxy mixing kit with free BBQ pork. Baked beans and extra bbq sauce in small containers in lieu of the other stuff.

10. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

I perfer Smithfield's to Sonny's so I would take a road trip up to Tom Lathrop's (Tom28571) or PhilSweet's neck of the woods.

11. Petros

Petros Senior Member

heck he can likely get a tray full of some deep fried pork tenders with hush puppies in FL. he can get a by pass surgury later.

I notice when I traveled in the south for the first time there were many names for parts of the animals they sell in fast food places that I did not even recognize what it was. Sometimes I would ask "what part of the animal exactly does the 'tender' come from?" Much to the amusement of the girls behind the counter. There are somethings I just do not want to know about, but it was all very good (and caused me to gain weight on that trip!).

12. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

When I did a lot of laminating, I would go to a restaurant and get a bunch of #10 cans, the ones that hold a gallon or so. They throw away tons of them. I would use one and when the mix was gone or started to set up, I would set it aside and get another. Once the resin had set up and cooled off, a quick wipe down with some 80 grit paper smoothed off the errant fibers and it was ready to use again. I would reuse them until they got too heavy with old resin.

Sometimes it's better not to know on what part of an animal the food comes from.

13. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

If you get a salad with french dressing you could clean up, exfoliate & moisteurise as well as mix your goo

14. PAR

It's fairly easy to order a life time supply of mixing cups and trays. I see no real reason to use these things, which are usually pretty flimsily and brittle. I buy 8 - 64 ounce in assorted sizes of clear plastic tubs, by the case, which is usually 250 - 500. If purchased individually, they're about $.50 each, but by the case they're about $.15 each. Restaurant and bakery supply outfits carry these puppies, so maybe get in with a boat building buddy and buy a case or two. Generally, they're heavier and they can be had without any internal ridges and bumps.

15. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Sams club is a good place to find mixing cups and trays of all sorts of sizes in decent quantities, I use various different Dixie cups and particularly like the aluminum foil steamer trays available in 20 packs, as long as you don't leave the brush or roller in them the resin will just settle and you just reuse them until they get too heavy and you chuck them. I used to buy chicken buckets from a local restaurant supply place by the case when we were manufacturing snowboards. Back in the early 80s we had a local kid collecting all sorts of cans and margarine containers etc and we would pay him for them.

Steve.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.