Epoxy fill for hardware mounting

Discussion in 'Materials' started by youngtrout, Dec 13, 2014.

1. youngtrout

youngtrout Junior Member

Hello again, I had the lightweight fill thread and now I'm looking to double check my heavy weight fill

Looking for a fill that will stand up to hardware installation. Drilling tapping etc.

In the past I use the 403 west systems fill. I'm also playing with adding chopped carbon to the mix.

I've also heard about folks using milled fiberglass

Thanks again

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

3. youngtrout

youngtrout Junior Member

Thanks. I downloaded it. I got started with composites with a little rowing skiff. I since have played around with vacuum bagging. Came here to ask around because I know you guys know a ton. Thanks. I'll look in the PDF

4. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Many of us got our start from that book.
    That is why you will often hear the same suggestion, over and over.....
    The website (westsystem.com) has discussions and their "Epoxyworks" is a e-pub which has lots of articles.
    http://www.westsystem.com/ss/boat-building/ is articles from older Epoxyworks issues.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Skip the chopped carbon, you're just not going to get much from it, unless it's content is exceptionally high, which is very difficult (read imposable) to do by hand.

The filler choices depend on application to a degree, but one thing is always the same - the silica content is simply to control viscosity. Milled fibers, cotton flock and wood flour are the usual choices, in concert with silica. Some will add other things, for other reasons, but generally these will be the standard bunch.

Do yourself a favor and download the free "User's Guides" at westsystem.com and the "Epoxy Book" at systemthree.com, both of which will cover filler materials and their use. As to exact percentages, well this is dependent on several factors, so a bit of experimenting is necessary, until you gain enough experience with them.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.