Dynacloth

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Unionjack, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Unionjack

Unionjack unionjack

I am trying to find a supplier of "Dynacloth" Google was less than helpful. I would also like to discuss the material and learn it's advantages or disadvatages over glass fibre?

2. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

I presume this is NOT what you're looking for. Perhaps you're thinking of "Dynel" ?

3. Unionjack

Unionjack unionjack

DynaCloth oops Dynel

Many thanks Ken for the correction. Yes it's Dynel. Do you or any other folk have an opinion on it's merits. I intend to use it to cover the bottom to prevent abrasion of a 12' San Francisco Pelican. Unionjack

4. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Dynel and Xynole are often used interchangeably. Some people seem to prefer Xynole better, and it costs less. If you search for either of these terms in the boatdesign.net forums you're sure to find the threads that give some people's opinions of these fabrics.

5. Unionjack

Unionjack unionjack

Many Thanks Ken. We lived in HK for many years and Boracay was a favourite:)

6. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Boracay is nice. I'm closer to Bantayan Island and I like it better, less touristy and more relaxing.

My best friend from Hawaii lived on Whidbey Island for about 10 years too. He and his wife just moved back to Maui from what I hear.

Small world!

7. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

search on woodenboat forum (www.woodenboat.tv) for xynole - it seems - someone tracked it down that both xynole and dynel are defender marine's sale names and that xynole is polyester fabric nothing fancy. The manufacturer sells xynole 2$ per yard - defender 9$.

edit:
    Based on thread below
    - xynole is more flexible - thsu better for sheathing as it lives a little unlike glass.
    - xynole sucks much more epoxy results in thicker moisture barrier but also higher cost and weight due to extra epoxy
    - sticks better than glass when sheathing wood (arguably)
    - better abrasion resistance than glass
    - cannot be sanded as well as glass

not my opinions just main points from woodenboat forum's discussions

ahh - I went and looked for the post here it is:
    http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/showpost.php?p=1689949&postcount=31

whole thread -
    http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=6640&highlight=xynole

Based on thred below

8. Unionjack

Unionjack unionjack

Dynel

Thanks Kerosene, I now have all the info I need. grateful Unionjack.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.