DuFLEX strip plank

Discussion in 'Materials' started by mojounwin, Dec 30, 2004.

1. mojounwin

mojounwin Junior Member

looking to build a 26ft yacht strip planked, and stumbled across a product called Duflex which is essentially a foam core that is coated each side with 600gm biax E-glass. http://www.atlcomposites.com/pdf/DuFLEX_brochure.pdf

Has anyone used this product before?
    How does it compare with using cedar as a core?
    Because the core is already coated with fibreglass could you use a lighter cloth to cover then would be used to cover cedar?

Thanks
    Mike

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The biggest advantage would come at resale time,

boats with burried wood are hard to sell ,

even though they claim to be "Composite" ,

the public knows better.

FAST FRED

3. captainjsw

captainjsw Junior Member

I am building with DuFlex - I see this is an old thread - if you are still interested in knowing more - let me know

Regards John

4. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I think that's an attitude that's changing - especially as more and more large custom vessels are employing strip planking (wood, I mean). It's also a bit of a regional thing - the Kiwi's, for instance, don't share any fear of timber cored boats.
    It's also somewhat ill-informed - a poorly built foam or balsa cored boat is every bit as prone to wet core damage as a poorly built strip plank boat is - if not more so.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.