Drink cans,beer cans ETC,using as floatation

Discussion in 'Materials' started by djwkd, Sep 9, 2006.

1. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

how tall are these?

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I get the idea whatever you are thinking about doing is not a good idea. You "want to make the cheapest ocean going raft you can get away with". Well, just add a couple more beer cans or a few more ping pong balls or a few more innertubes than the last person that died at sea had in their raft.
    You keep mentioning the F'ing Neutrinos. Try this place ...
    http://www.floatingneutrinos.com/Other Rafts/How to Build a Raft.html
    BTW, since the telegraph poles are all stacked now, it's not how tall they are, but how long they are, and that depends on whether they used Morse code in CAPITOL letters or small letters and also on how far the message had to go. Sam

3. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

We have taken the saturated flotation foam out of old sunfish, and replaced it with sealed 2 litre plastic soda bottles with great success. That being said, we have never even taken a sunfish to the ocean!

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I knew a guy who built a boat out of beer cans and fiberglass. First he emptied the cans (no I did not ask). Then set them end to end (I don't know how many) and rolled them up in fiberglass, soaked it with resin and let it dry. He made a lot of these beer can logs. He had built a male mold and formed the logs over the mold to make a hull. and of course stuck all the logs together to make it water tight. He left out the pigment so you could see the cans. I asked him to send me a photo but he never did. I wish he had.

5. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

sounds a good idea....

6. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

so..i could use a frame,floatation in...seal.....................??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes absalutely. Could you draw some pictures of what you are trying to do.

8. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

i dont hve a scanner,also,will a)driftwood and B)drinks cans be ok and still float when sealed?

9. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

here they are,(mind you theres only one)in all its glory.

here it is:as attachment.

Attached Files:

10. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

Why wouldn't you want to take on ocean (although it is only going to be coastal)?

11. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

true logic

If it floats close to the coast, then it will float also when you go oceanic, no problems. It will just break up and sink faster out there. So you can bring less beer with you. Now let's see, assuming that you can collect empty beer cans for free and have to buy the ones that you want to drink, it's actually cheaper to build and run an oceanic beer can raft than a coastal one :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  12. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

design advice

What a glorious attachment, yes, that will work. Forget the drift wood and fill it with sealed empty beer cans. Good that you live in Newcastle, plenty of free building material around.

Are the cans of the light (alu) or the heavy type? Just thinking that the light ones would probably do well for a coastie but the oceanic model would probably benefit from the heaver and sturdier ones

13. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

I honestly couldn't tell you-and im sashamed to say i couldnt be bothered to check them all.I odnt know why everyone is assuming its just cans im using-im using 1&2 litre pop/soda bottles too!(and any other container that held a liquid and is sealed-cans are the only exception for the sealed thing).

Anyway-they dont need to be sealed (i think)because there going inside a sealed frame of wood.

14. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

Regardless of if you are going to seal the frame or not, seal the cans. You'll be glad you did that when your sealed wooden frame isn't (completely) sealed any longer.

15. alan white

alan white Senior Member

64 oz plastic bottles with caps would make more sense. Each one will displace 4 lbs of water. Here they would be 5 cents I think. Each one is seperately sealed, so it's a good idea security-wise. Aluminum will dissolve in salt water, I think.
    Packing peanuts (styrene foam) will fill any space, and are cheap or free.
    Flotation is cheap'n'easy except if you are building a proper little yacht like an H-12 1/2 or Haven 12 1/2, which specify a hand made copper air box, which is pretty foolish because it's cheaper to use foam and then buy a good used car with the change.

A.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.