Coppercoat bottom paint

Discussion in 'Materials' started by mariner 40, Apr 3, 2006.

1. mariner 40

mariner 40 Junior Member

Hello
    Has anyone ever used coppercoat on their boats? If so, is it as good as the company say's?

2. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Isn't it,, or will be, illegal because of the copper contents, or is that another thing?

(Edit: I mean in the EU)

3. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I just found out that here in Denmark we are delaying the total ban on copper in antifouling until january 1st, 2009.

The question is, would coppercoat, seeing as it is an epoxy product, be considered "bottom-paint/antifouling", especially since it isn't waterbased?

I think it's good idea to use such a product, I believe the EU to be wrong about this.

To "stay" on-topic, I have never met anyone using it, but from using google it seems to be working. The nay-sayers seems to be people that haven't tried it.

Also, there used to be a company producing "copperpoxy", and because of EU-legislation they stopped.

Me? I'm going to use no antifouling at all. I'll cover the whole thing (it's a small boat) in lanolin, polish the thing, but when I get tired of polishing it, removing growth (I wonder how much lanolin will keep at bay, if anything), I will propably paint it with a copper/epoxy product down below. It just has to be before 2009 for my part, then, if it can last, say 8 years, it will still pollute less than regular antifouling.

4. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

Iv used coppercoat ,by pettit ,its good stuff ,usually good for 4 or 5 yrs.

5. Vega

Vega Senior Member

I have read a lot of complaints from people (in boat magazines). Apparently they advertise the product as good for 10 years, but forget to say that you have to scrub the bottom every year, for having a real clean hull.

Not a problem with that Longliner? I mean having a clean hull without having to take the boat out of the water every year?

6. longliner45

if the boat dont stop moving,,,,,,,,, moss dont grow on a rolling stone,:)

7. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Hehe, a good excuse to one's spouse:

"Sorry dear, I have to go sailing. You see, if I don't, the boat will be all fungi and slime, and we don't want to scrub all that, now do we?" :p

8. longliner45

well thats fine ,,,,,,but I was a fisherman and we made at least one trip a week ,,,,,,,but it was the wife that said ,honey you should go clean the bottom off

9. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Ah, yes, dirtyness is not a good thing, one way or another.

Back on track though, I really doubt that any paint, if not extremely toxic, would be enough. So, the question is, how much poison are you willing to pollute with? Copper-epoxy seems like the ideal to me, but how toxic does it has to be "good enough". I think that one should try not to use anything more poisonous than necessary. Longliner has a really good point, although I joked a little about it. Mechanical "cleansing" is much better either on it's own, or in combination with poison. At least for the environment.

Andre

10. longliner45

ther are better products maybe the vinal coats that decrease drag and add to fuel economy , but Im not too knowledgable about them. yes the enviornment should be paramount.

11. Vega

Vega Senior Member

-CUPROTECT -What do you think about this product?

They are not modest in praise:p : "the world's best antifouling?"
    Has someone any real experience with this product?
    http://www.eco-sea.com/

"The cuprous oxide film that develops on Cuprotect™ after immersion, not only provides an inhospitable surface to fouling organisms, but effectively seals the Cuprotect™ thereby ensuring leech rates stay significantly below any other copper based products.

The U.K. government expressed a great deal of interest in the development of Cuprotect™ and its predecessor, Cuproguard™, not least due to the potential environmental benefits. After a close examination of the project, by independent experts, U.K. government approval was given for full grant aid in November 2000.

Cuprotect™ is the only anti foul product currently available on the market which is environmentally aware and highly effective at preventing marine bio fouling, as it does not contain any organotins such as TBT, nor volatile organic compounds (VOC's) such as solvents, both of which are found in great quantities in anti-foul paints and both of which are extremely damaging, not only to marine life but also to the ozone layer.

"The osmosis defence offered by Cuprotect™ is formidable. The barrier of defence consists of a totally impermeable epoxy resin primer coat. a secondary binder coat and a final layer of granulated copper alloy. The complete matrix has been pressure tested to 15 atmospheres, 220 psi, forcing water and air through the matrix. Cuprotect™ was not breached, even under these destructive tests.

There is simply no better protection or defence against osmosis/hydrolysis than that of Cuprotect™ anywhere in the world."

http://www.eco-sea.com/page.php?id=18

http://www.jpcdirect.co.uk/cuprotect.htm

12. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Heh, it's being tested in Yachting Monthly this ... month ... lol.

The article says that it is expensive (around 100£/sqmtr) and that it likely will not last 5 years.

However, it is active because the copper doesn't sit in the epoxy resin, but outside.

But, the article doesn't mention how much the boat is sailed, though.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.