composite stringers?...prisma/compsys brand

Discussion in 'Materials' started by rotfix, Oct 22, 2007.

1. rotfix

rotfix Junior Member

anyone have any experience with composite stringers?

i'm re-doing the floor in a 23' inboard. would like to avoid wood under the floor this time around. there's a composite product called prisma preforms (preforms.com). there's a video demo on their site and on youtube (search stringer replacement). i haven't seen the prices yet.

any other products besides seacast available?

thanks

2. RingLeader

RingLeader Junior Member

Those Prisma preformed stringers look pretty good to me. I couldn't say if they are a good stringer for an inboard application that would be using the stringers as a motor mount/support.

We have had a few people at ClassicMako build fiberglass stringers from a mold (usually two 2x8's or 2x10's screwed together or something like that) and then tab them into the boat. Once tabbed to place they cut a few holes in the tops and pour in 4 lb foam.

3. rotfix

rotfix Junior Member

you're right about the motor mount, the composite info says no. i've pretty much given up on it. no one on several boards has ever tried it, most likely because of the price. the distributor also speaks engineer while i'm just diy'ing.

i'm going with seacast for my motor mounts. the fiberglass is in great shape and the wood is complete mush. a shop vac cleaned at least half of it out. this was before the front deck came out...

[​IMG]

i'm still weighing my options for the stringers. i'm considering seacast for all of it but that would require some work. i'm not looking forward to the grinding.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.