Color Shifting Auto Paint, Can I Use?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Frankenboat, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Frankenboat

Frankenboat New Member

Just purchased a 1979 Starcraft ski boat and doing complete overhaul. Kinda fancy a "disco" approach to this new Frankenboat and want to use color shifting paint for large portion of the topside or maybe just for accents.

I will be mainly fresh water, docked in winter. Not planning to use anti-fouling as I really don't need. Was wondering if anyone has used this paint on their boat and what the issues might be? Thanks!

2. Deeman

Deeman Junior Member

Have you checked the price per gallon? about $8.00 an oz. One gallon will be around $500.00+. The dealer used to buy back what you don't use. Don't know if they still do.
    Eric H

3. Sean B.

Sean B. Junior Member

Check around different suppliers (probably best to search online... more choices)

I don't know about currently, but I know it at least USED TO be possible to purchase just the additive crystals... then you could add it to your gel coat the same way you might add metal flake.

Good luck... and definitely post pics if/when you do this

4. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

If you add flakes to gelcoat, it will look like crap. It needs to be sprayed, thin.

We spray metallics on yachts(more than 10 in last 3 years from 10m to 33m). There is no issue. Your choice if you topcoat with marine clear or just keep the autoclear.

Don't leave it in water for more than few days if on underwater areas. It will blister, go cloudy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.