Cold Weather Paint

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Sand crab, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Sand crab

Sand crab Junior Member

I noticed an uncompleted boat near here. It is epoxy built but without a final paint job (or gelcoat). It has been kept under plastic so hopefully no UV epoxy degradation. The issue is the boat and I are in the Seattle area and it's that rainy time of year. I've read up on paints and it seems they all have issues with the temp and humidity. Is it possible to do this outside this time of year and with what products. I'll be doing the entire boat top and bottom roll and tip (I guess) and probably some fairing.

Thanks

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

IMRON, from DuPont works in a wide range of conditions.

3. Sand crab

Sand crab Junior Member

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

google cold weather paints and tons of stuff pops up.

5. pauloman

pauloman Epoxy Vendor

roll and tip is generally for 2 part polys (LPU coating) - their weak link is adhesion so it should go over a fresh/new primer (usually and epoxy primer)

6. Sand crab

Sand crab Junior Member

I just get house paint when I do that. Prior to starting this thread I googled cold weather "marine" paints and that had good info. But all the paints want warmer conditions then we are likely to see for 5 or 6 months.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Tent the boat. Just toss a tarp over some 1x2's or PVC pipe and enclose the area or whole boat. Place a few non-flame style heaters inside and wait for the temperatures to come up.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.